Chapter 22

School had finally started up again. Students walked around the hallways in a depressed daze, knowing that the time for fun was over and it was time to get serious again. Seto, who had been discharged from the hospital a mere three days before, sat in his first period class. So far, he was the only student present. He stared into space, a bored frown between his brows. The sound of talking pulled his gaze to the door. Ronnie, no apparently her name was Alissa, was now entering the classroom. She bit her lip when her eyes fell on Seto. The two hadn't talked, let alone seen each other since she told him about her past. Sure, she had tried calling him, but every time she did he just ignored her call. Since moving out from the mansion, she had found a home with Yugi and his grandfather. She walked up to his desk and shifted her weight nervously from foot to foot. Don't be a drama queen. Just talk to him. He can't still be mad at you.

"Um. Hey." Seto stayed silent and directed his gaze to the window. She swallowed nervously when he ignored her greeting.

"Did you get my messages?"

"You left several," he answered dryly. "Of course I got them."

"So can we talk then?"

"No. I don't owe you any favors."

"I'm sorry-."

"For what?" he asked sharply. "Lying about everything?"

"Yeah."

"Don't waste my time. I don't want your apology."

"Okay," she said, her voice shaking. "Look, I know we aren't on good terms right now, but our project is due next week so we should probably just finish up with that then we can-."

"There's no need. I emailed Mr. Yukido last night. He's allowed us to work separately. Since most of the project is completed I told him that wouldn't be an issue. Now since I see no reason for us to converse any longer, I'll ask you to leave me alone." He pulled a book out of his bag and opened it to the marked page. She nodded sadly and headed to her desk. By now, other students had started to enter the classroom. She let out a sigh and rested her head on her desk. What had happened with Seto was really destroying her inside. Ever since the incident, she had barely spoken to anyone. The only person who knew about what happened between her and Seto was Yugi, who had forced the information out of her after noticing her odd mood. The way Seto had reacted to her story had killed her. He was the only person she trusted with the truth, and he shot her down. The heartbreak that she felt every day was almost too much to bear. She had fallen for him, and she had fallen hard. Even though the couple had only been dating for a very short while, not even a month, she couldn't deny the strong feelings that she had for him since early that fall. After first period ended, she left the classroom without waiting for Joey like she usually did. She walked to the bathroom and shut herself in one of the stalls. Once she was sure she was alone, she began to cry.

Mokuba Kaiba and his older brother were very close. Mokuba knew his brother and he knew him well. That's why he knew that something was wrong with Seto. His older brother lead on that his breakup didn't bother him, but his younger brother couldn't be fooled. He knew the breakup was tearing him apart inside. A month had passed since the couple's breakup and Seto's mood hadn't changed. The younger Kaiba walked up to his brother's office, knowing very well that that's where he would be. He'd locked himself up there every day since returning home from the hospital.

"Seto?" he asked, peeking his head around the door. Seto sat at his desk with his head in his hands. He couldn't remember the last time he'd seen his brother so upset. Come to think of it, he didn't think he'd ever seen his brother this upset. Even after their parents died, Seto had put on a strong face, but now the strong exterior was cracking.