Chapter 5

After school the next day, Ronnie hurried down the street to Starbucks. The night prior; after the small verbal showdown with Sam, the manager of Starbucks called asking for an interview. Her destination came into view and she stole a quick glance at the clock on her phone. Perfect. I still have twenty minutes before the interview. She entered the coffee shop and quickly found herself a table. A girl with her hair pulled back and wearing a Starbucks apron stopped in front of Ronnie's table.

"Hey. You must be Ronnie. I'm Tasha the manager," she said, sticking her hand out.

"Yeah that's me," Ronnie replied, shaking Tasha's hand. "Nice to meet you Tasha."

"Well it's a bit early but we could start your interview now if you'd like."

"Sure. Thank you." Tasha pulled out the chair across from her and sat.

"Alright. So why do you want to work at Starbucks?"

"I've wanted to work at Starbucks since I was a little kid. After school every Friday my mom and I would go to Starbucks for a drink and a pastry. My mom and dad actually met each other at a Starbucks so it has some pretty substantial significance to my family. I think it would be a fun job and a challenging one which is good because I love a challenge."

"Alright. What would you say your strengths are?"

"Well I'm pretty hardworking and I don't give up easily at all. I also work really well with others and I-." The sound of a car screeching and a scream stopped the interview in its tracks. The two looked outside the window to see a car speeding away and someone lying in the middle of the street. A small crowd had started to gather around the injured person.

"Oh my god!" Ronnie shot up from her seat and ran outside. Tasha followed after yelling at someone to call the ambulance. Ronnie peered through a gap of people and froze.

"Mokuba!" she shoved through the crowd to reach him. The young boy was lying on the pavement, motionless. There was blood coming from a wound on his forehead and one of his legs was twisted in an odd fashion. Blood leaked from a wound on his stomach as well. The sound of sirens could be heard from a distance.

"Everyone scoot back!" Ronnie ordered, putting slight pressure on the wound on his stomach. She quickly checked for a pulse and found a very faint one.

"Come on Mokuba. Stay with us," she whispered. She could feel her heartbeat pick up as nervousness began to eat the inside of her stomach. Finally, the ambulance arrived. They loaded him onto the gurney and pushed him into the ambulance. She was about to climb in behind him when she was stopped.

"Only friends and family Miss." Without thinking, she responded.

"I'm his sister." She received a brief nod then climbed into the vehicle.

Kaiba sat at his desk, typing on his laptop. His phone rang suddenly.

"Kaiba," he answered.

"You need to get to the emergency room now!"

"Veronica? What are you doing calling me right now with our childish pranks? I don't have time for this."

"Get down to the emergency room now Kaiba! Something happened to Mokuba!" Just like that, his mood changed. He felt his heart stop and fear rise up in his chest.

"I'll be right there."

"We're on the third floor." He quickly hung up and called his secretary on his intercom.

"Cancel the rest of today's appointments. An emergency has come up." He grabbed his jacket and hurried to the front of the Kaiba Corporation building. His limo was waiting.