Chapter 8

"How'd they know we were down here?" Ronnie asked as the banging continued.

"You think I know?"

"Well, is there another way out of here?"

"Having another entrance to this place would be an extreme security hazard. There's only one way in and one way out."

"It's a hazard being down here! There has to be another exit. A ventilation shaft? Something?"

"The ventilation shaft is too small for us to go through. The only thing that could fit through there is a small animal or a child." As soon as those words left his lips, an idea formed in both of their heads. Their gazes snapped towards each other and held. They both knew how to get out of here. They turned their gazes to Mokuba who sat on one of the beds. He immediately understood.

"No way! I'm not leaving you guys!"

"Mokuba don't argue. You have to escape and go call for help."

"But Seto-."

"We'll be fine Mokuba. Just hurry up and go." Mokuba frowned but followed his brother's orders. He tore the ventilation shaft open and climbed in. Ronnie quickly closed it behind him. Only moments later, the sound of splintering wood filled the air.

"Any ideas Rich Boy?" she asked as footsteps pounded down the stairs. She glanced at him when he didn't answer. His mouth was set in a tight line and his stance strong. His eyes were so cold that one gaze could freeze Hell over.

"Don't get killed," he answered as the footsteps grew louder.

"You might want to consider finding new ways of security." They both knew that soon the intruders would be down the stairs and blocking their only exit. He reached out and grabbed a chair. He smashed it into the wall and tore off one leg for himself and tossed the other one to her. A group of five men reached the foot of the steps. They were all dressed in black with a ski mask concealing their faces. All five men pulled out blunt objects of their own before diving for the duo. Kaiba reacted quickest, jumping backwards to barely dodge the metal bar swung in his direction. Ronnie ducked as a bat came flying towards her head. She knelt down in a crouch and swung her chair leg into the leg of one of her attackers. The force of her hit sent the man to the floor. A second man wrapped his thick arm around her neck, cutting off her air. Reacting quickly, she brought her elbow back into his stomach, leaving the man winded. When he released his hold she kicked him in the chest, sending him on top of the man she had previously beaten down. Their heads collided, sending both of them into unconsciousness. She glanced around for Kaiba to see if he needed any assistance. However, he had himself handled. The trio of men that attacked him now lay unconscious on the ground. Upon taking care of his attackers, Kaiba shifted his attention to the surveillance cameras to make sure Mokuba was okay When he looked at the screen, he saw several other intruders searching through the mansion. Mokuba was nowhere to be found.

"We need to find Mokuba," he strode over to the steps and turned over his shoulder when he didn't hear her follow. "Come on. It would probably be in your best interest to not be here when they come around," he said gesturing to the unconscious group of men. She nodded and followed him up the steps.

"Where are all the security guards?" she asked as they snuck across the grass. "Isn't it their job to prevent what happened back there?"

"They're taking care of the idiots inside."

"Does this happen often?"

"Depends on what you mean by often." He started to pick up his pace and she followed close behind him. They stopped when they reached the mansion and pressed their bodies against the side of the building. Their chests heaved as they tried to even out their breathing.