8. We'll Get There

Start from the beginning

“I’m sorry Tristy. I’m still kinda new to this whole thing.” He smiled. I gave him a light smile. Maybe Billie’s right; maybe he just needs a little time to adjust.

“It’s ok Tre.” I said calmly.

“Well how about we take a lunch break?” Tre said looking at everyone.

“Sure!” Mike and Billie said setting their instruments to the side.

“Uh I just ate breakfast so I’m good.” I said waving my hand and standing.

“Well you can still come talk to us!” Billie said gesturing me to follow. I stepped to the door with them.

“Yeah and tell us what you’ve been up to all these years, since your father has failed to find out.” Mike said putting an arm around my shoulder.

“Hey! I tried! And you know it!” Tre turned pointing at him. Mike smiled. We continued down the hall and I looked to Mike.

“Did he really?”

“Hmm?” He looked down at me. I was speaking low so the others couldn’t hear.

“Did he try to find me?”

“Yeah… He nearly drove me nuts at one point, I mean I wanted to find you to for his sake but we were just having bad luck. I guess because your last name wasn’t your mother’s maiden name that made it even harder.” I nodded and bit on my jaw.

“Billie said that you guys didn’t know about me. That I wasn’t talked about.” I said softly looking to him so Billie couldn’t hear.

“That’s because Billie was high a lot and not paying attention, which he was stressed and had his own issues.”

“Oh, makes sense.” He smiled as we stepped into the kitchen and removed his arm from me.

     As they made their meals we talked about music, what I liked and what they liked. Mike had a few interesting poets that I had read over. He seemed to be the more intelligent one of the bunch, but he did crack a few jokes here and there. For the first time being there I started to feel a bit comfortable. I took a picture with them as Beth had asked and sent it to her. Of course she called me immediately and profusely blurted out her excitement in my ear. After Mike left I felt I was ready to talk to Tre; if he would listen.

“So Tre I have to tell you something.” I said seriously adjusting myself on the couch across from where he was seated. He was beside Billie in the love seat.

“Yes my child?” He said grinning. I looked to Billie who nodded and then back to Tre before biting my lip.

“Um…” I cleared my throat. “I think we need to talk about everything that’s happened, and I really need to –“

“Oh I know we really need to spend more time together and do things, like father daughter things!” I guess he’s kind of on the right track, but I really needed to tell him about mom.

“Well maybe, but I-“

“Oh we can go to like Chuck-E-Cheese or something, maybe Adventure Landing!” He was getting excited and giddy like a kid. I scrunched my eyes.

“No, even if I wanted to spend a lot of time together I don’t wanna do that. That’s for little kids. I’m nearing 22 for god sakes!”

“That stuff is still fun!” He sounded a bit upset. Billie grabbed his arm.

“Yeah for a ten year old.” I said rolling my eyes.

“You wouldn’t know what fun is even if it hit you in the face.”