All good things are hidden

Oswaldo's P.O.V

My house has been filled with so much tension, it's hard to breathe. I miss the times when it was just me and my girl. I know that my mother invited my cousins over, hoping that they can somehow break Melody and I up. She's about to find out that it's not that easy.

They have been trying their best to make her feel like she doesn't belong. But I don't care what any of them think because I knew that she belonged with me. Her easy smile has become a thing of the past. She frowned so much more, and I can see that as much as she tries not to let them get to her, their hurtful words were slowly breaking her resolve.

Harmony has been a big help to her. I was happy that she had someone to talk to. She has been trying to make it work between us, but I got the sense that she wanted to run. But I wasn't going to let her do that. I'd soon kick the lot of them out before I let her run from me.

You guys might be thinking that we're too young to know what we really want, but I don't believe that. I know how I feel about Melody and I know she feels the same way about me too. My hearts aches whenever she's not around me, I live and breathe for her. I'd do anything to make her happy. I know exactly what I want, and it's her.

++++++++++++++++++

I had to get out of that house, I couldn't take the tension anymore, and Melody needed some space for all the drama that has been happening lately. There was only one place I knew to bring her. A bar owned by Connor's uncle. That's how I met Connor. His uncle saved me from ruining myself when I was barely a teenager.

I started doing some shady shit when I was thirteen, stuff a thirteen-year-old had no business doing. It if wasn't for Big Ray, I'd probably in jail or dead. I brought Melody to meet Ray partly because she wanted to know how Connor and I knew each other. But mostly because I felt like he's family and I wanted him to meet the girl that I was going to married one day.

When we got to the bar they were playing some old Frank Sinatra tunes. A few old drunks were playing pool at the pool table and some were playing cards, and cursing so bad their mothers must be turning in their graves. I held Melody's hand and we pushed through a few drunken couples dancing on the dance floor.  

Melody was quiet beside me, she was looking around the place, taking everything in. I knew that that kind of bar was new to her. She was the only black girl amongst a room filled with white people. I could tell that she was feeling out of place, but she was trying her best not to show it.

"You ok?"

I asked, squeezing her hand. She smiled and nodded. I chuckled and pulled her closer to me. The fact that she wasn't talking told me that she was way out of her element. We made our way to the bar and I lifted her, placing on her on the only available stool. I stood next to her and called to the bartender.

"Hey, Ginger."

A short, red head women in her mid-thirties came over to us smiling.

"Oswaldo Richards, what are you doing here? You ain't gone and got yourself is some trouble now, have you?"

I laughed and shook my head. Ginger was like a mother to me. When I used to getaway to hang out at the bar, she would always make sure that I was fed and taken care of. She would even have me sit and do my homework.

"Nah, no trouble, just thought I'd bring my girlfriend to meet Big Ray."

I gestured to Melody and Ginger smiled. I could see on her face that was surprised that my girlfriend was a black girl. But she didn't saying anything about it.