Chapter 11: Who Knew?

Start from the beginning

"Yeah. Take care and I love you, alright."

I smiled.

"Love you too dad. Bye."

I hung up the phone and glanced over at Dontae. 

He was still staring at me but instead of smirking he smiled lightly.

I lifted an eyebrow. 

"What?"

He shook his head from left to right. 

"Nothing. It's just that I forgot how close you are with your dad."

"Yeah, after my mom—"

I paused, feeling a pang in my chest.

Gulping, I forced down tears. And instead of delving into a conversation not worth having I jutted out my lips and said, "uh...yeah. We're really close."

When I was smaller, I used to show off my mom to my classmates and friends. But then and even now, I never thought in a million years that my mom would be a subject I loathe talking about. 

Dontae looked at me with grief stricken eyes. Sensing the shift in the atmosphere.

He pursed his lips and instead of commenting he changed the subject.

"How about you tell me what happened with Sean last night."

I looked at him skeptically.

"Are you sure you want to know?"

He chuckled a bit.

"Because earlier you didn't seem too forthcoming on the matter."

"You caught me by surprise, that's all."

I raised an eyebrow.

"Mhm."

I knew he was trying to get my mind off my mom but even though I knew this I still went ahead and told him what had happened. I of course just summarized it and left out the embarrassing parts about me behaving like a common slut.

Maybe that's a bit far fetched. It didn't change how I feel though. 

Being rejected in such a humiliating way is not easy. Especially when there's a possibility that I may see him at school very soon.

I.

Am.

Such.

An.

Idiot. 

-

-

-

***_***_***_***

The hallway was buzzing with kids rushing to their lockers, idling and being hyperactive as per usual.

I gripped the strap of my bag and trudged to my locker. Eager to get to class so I don't have to face—

Shit.

Speak of the devil and he shall appear.

I hurriedly placed my bag in my locker and grabbed my chemistry books along with my pencil case.

As swiftly and hopefully as discreetly as I could, I headed to class.

But my breath caught in my throat when I was pulled to the side.

I didn't even know what was happening for a while until I was met by the surroundings of an empty classroom.

Sometimes, I really hate my luck.