Chapter 28: [The Drill]

Start from the beginning

He rubbed his cheek. "You're right. I'm sorry."

"Would you like the Avatar's help now?" Toph asked. 

"Yes, please."

Your team stood at the edge of the wall, overlooking the drill. 

"The question is, how are we going to stop that thing?" Aang pondered. You all turned your heads to Sokka. 

"Why are you all looking at me?" he demanded. 

"You're the idea guy," Aang replied. 

"And you're constantly saying how much smarter you are than the rest of us," you added. 

"I mean, I am, but that's not the point!" he exclaimed. "I can't be the only one to ever come up with a plan. That's too much pressure."

"You're also the complaining guy," Katara said. 

"That part I don't mind."

You were thoughtful for a moment. "So this thing is made of metal, right? Well, I can melt metal."

Sokka looked at you in disbelief. "You really think you could melt down that whole thing by yourself?"

"Well... no," you admitted. "But if I could get inside it and find the controls or something, I could destroy that and then, boom! No more drill."

"Or you could risk blowing the whole thing up," Sokka suggested more realistically. 

"But then it won't work anymore. That's a good thing, right?"

"Not if you're inside it!" Katara exclaimed. 

"Plus, who knows how many soldiers are in there too," Aang added. "And an explosion could damage the wall and hurt the people up here more than anything else."

"Don't worry, I have a plan," you stated confidently. 

Katara crossed her arms, eyeing you sceptically. "One that doesn't involve you getting blown to pieces?"

"Best case scenario, yes."

"And worst case?"

"Well, you know..." You mimed an explosion with your hands and then made a cutting motion across your neck with your finger to imply your death. You even added sound effects, which your friends didn't seem to appreciate.

"Okay, we're definitely not doing that," Katara decided. 

"Come on, it'll be fine," you assured. "I promise I'll come out in one piece. Maybe two pieces. Three pieces at the most, but definitely no more than that. I'm a professional."

"Dude, I don't think that's helping," Sokka said. Then his eyes lit up slightly. "But you might be onto something."

"I am?"

"He is?" your friends asked, shocked. 

"Well, not about the explosion part. That's a horrible idea," he said and you nodded in a 'fair enough' motion. "But that thing you said about getting inside the drill... that could work. If we hit its weak points..." 

"We could take it down from the inside!" Toph finished. 

"Oh, yeah. Yeah, that's a much better idea, actually," you admitted. 

"Not that yours was hard to beat," Katara teased and you made a quiet sound of protest but didn't bother trying to defend yourself. 

Aang looked over the wall with a determined expression. "Let's do this."

You and your team crouched together in one of the Terra Team's abandoned trenches.