A Proposal

The streets of Galabee City were dark as Mercy began her walk home. Besides the distant raucous of the taverns, the only sounds were the scuff of Mercy's shoes on the dirt road. With only the occasional torch in the market place to guide her way, Mercy navigated the main road, making sure to steer clear of the darkest of shadows.

Mercy always came home this late from the palace, but it didn't mean she had gotten used to it. The eerie darkness always made her feel very unsettled and she, more often than not, tried to shy away from the darkness in her cloak. Not that it would protect her any.

As she walked her usual route home, Mercy had to force herself to stay calm and breathe. She knew the people of Galabee were kind, but come night, it became a not so kind place. Mercy's heart rate sped up as she came to the edge of the lit, public market place and entered the silent village. The quiet was quieter and the dark shadows deepened. Her palms were hot inside her fists and her ears strained to listen for any sort of threat.

Almost home, Mercy thought to herself as she rounded a corner.

Clang!

Mercy's heart leaped out of her throat as she whipped around, searching for where the noise came from. She stared into the shadows, holding her breath as she waited for something to jump out at her. After staring for an eternity, Mercy allowed herself to release the breath that she had been holding.

Mercy nodded to herself, as if telling herself it was all okay and turned around to continue walking home. However, Mercy was stopped short by a dark shape standing in her way. Mercy jumped back from the shape and her hand flew to her mouth to muffle the scream that escaped it. Her other hand clutched at her chest where her heart raced.

"Sorry miss," chuckled the voice that belonged to the man in front of Mercy. "Didn't mean to startle you." Mercy struggled to respond to the person in front of her as she fought to regain her composure.

"It would do you well," gasped Mercy through frantic breaths, "to not lurk in the shadows, if you do not mean to scare."

"Now where's the fun in that," sneered the man. Mercy's palms burned hot as she held them close to her and surveyed the man in front of her. She narrowed her eyes at the man and straightened, pulling her shoulders back and her chin up. She forced her fists down to her sides and stood in confidence in front of the ominous shadow. Mercy stared hard at the man's head, trying to see his face, but the darkness hid it too well.

"It would do you well, my lady," began the man, "to not walk these shadows alone." The man chuckled and Mercy heard a soft noise, like a snuff, that she could only describe as skin rubbing against skin.

"Why?" Mercy asked as her ears perked up at the quiet noise. "So the bad people cannot get me?" The man chuckled again, the noise disappearing for a short time, but soon returning after his laughter ceased.

"Bad people?" He inquired with a giggled. "We are all bad people, even the good ones. Some people are just found more in the shadows."

"What business do you have with me?" Mercy looked past the man, half looking for a way out, half looking for the small noise.

"A proposal, if you will," announced the man, raising his hand.

"What sort of proposal?" prodded Mercy with caution.

"It has become known to me that you are in the service of the Lady Laika." Mercy gasped quietly and her eyes widened at the man.

"H-how?" stammered Mercy.

"That is not of importance," the man growled. "What is of importance is that your mother is dying and I may have what could save her." Mercy's heart dropped.

"How?!" She screeched, leaping at the man desperately. "How could you save my mother?"

The man held up a finger and wagged it back and forth. "Ah, ah, ah," he chastised. "First, my proposal."

"Yes, what is it?" pressed Mercy.

"Laika," hissed the man. The desperate, hopeful look on Mercy's face fell quickly and she stepped back away from the man. Her palms grew hot again, as they always did when she felt threatened. "I want you to spy on her for me," demanded the man. "Spy on her, and I'll save your mother."

Mercy shook her head at the man. "I don't even know who you are," she breathed. But her mother was dying, and if this man could save her then...

No, Mercy thought. I am a loyal servant.

"I'm sorry, sir, but I can't do that," Mercy said immediately. The sound of skin rubbing against skin stopped.

"You can't?" reiterated the man slowly.

"No," stated Mercy firmly. "Now if you'll excuse me, I have to be home with my mother." Mercy walked forward towards the man and moved to push past him.

The man's arm shot out and his hand gripped her bicep viciously. Mercy gasped in fear and squeezed her eyes shut. Her palms flared up in heat and she forced herself to be calm once again and wait for the man to do something. The man didn't move.

Mercy breathed out slowly and looked up at the man whose face was still hidden by the dark. "You have no business with me," she spat.

"Not yet," the man hissed. Mercy growled and wrenched her arm from his grip and walked away. She made herself walk with her head up high, but as soon as she rounded the next corner, Mercy grasped her skirt and ran the rest of the way home.

When she came to her house, Mercy clawed at the door and threw it open, she shut it with a bang and leaned on it, breathing heavily and sweating profusely, despite the cool air of the night.

"Mercy," called a weak voice from the other side of the room. "Is everything alright?" Mercy took in a breath and let it out, putting a smile on her face.

"Yes mother," lied Mercy. "Everything is alright."