Chapter 35 | A Helping Hand

Start from the beginning

Clara ran to them and Flynn welcomed her with arms wide open. But his bright smile fell when the princess zoomed past him to fuss over Emir.

"Are you feeling alright?" Clara said. She tended to the dark, brooding prince like a mother to a child, brushing off the dirt on his face and shirt, smoothing the curls of his disheveled hair, and inspecting his body of cuts and wounds.

The strained lines on Emir's face relaxed. He couldn't remember when was the last time someone had gone all the way to check on him. He was the dark prince, cold and unfeeling. No one expected him to complain about a single scratch even when he was still a child. His mother, the person who ever made him feel wanted, was gone too soon. As a result of that tragedy, his remaining family made him unworthy of love and care. It was ingrained in his mind that he didn't deserve it.

Emir wrapped an arm around her waist and pulled her close. He buried his head in the crook of her neck and the princess stilled, her body gone rigid like stone. The prince smiled despite himself. He was starting to get used to being this close to her, the princess he relentlessly pushed away at first.

Flynn grunted. "Lovely. Can I get a hug too? I saved your dear prince's life, princess."

"Don't mind him," Emir whispered in her ear and she was suddenly ticklish.

Clara extricated herself from the prince's grip. Crimson splotches invaded her cheeks. They were in the presence of an audience whilst being in an intimate position. She couldn't look up from her feet, but why did she feel like there was smugness playing on Emir's face?

"No one saved anyone, Flynn. You just happened to pass by when I was about to deliver that Hollow to the mercy of the Light." Emir caught her wrist and pulled her with him to the others. He cast a smoldering gaze at the Hollows' suspended forms inside the shell.

Feelings of shame aside, Clara found the strength to look at Flynn. Something was knowing and playful that tugged the corners of her lips. Something like a secret shared just between the two of them. And she knew all too well what that secret was. She fought back the urge to beg for his silence. At least, Flynn wasn't saying anything for now. Clara swore to all the kings and queens that if he uttered a single word about...

Something snapped in her head. Clara replayed Willow's words about the people who went with her to search for them. Maxwell and some strange girl. With them was one Eirinian prince.

The truth was already there, ready to bite her. It was just waiting for her to piece it together.

Heat rose from her neck to her face. All along she'd been led to believe that Flynn was no more than a royal advisor to the king. That explained why she never saw him around the palace. Still, it was her fault she never inquired about him to Anneliese's father.

"You..." Clara drawled, her voice devoid of emotion. "You are not some royal advisor to the Leighton family, are you?"

"A royal advisor?" Emir raised a brow, but Clara didn't spare him a glance. Her sharp glare remained directed at the other prince.

Flynn chuckled and scratched his stubbled jaw. "I may have joked a little about my identity to the princess."

"For what?" Clara spat.

He shrugged. "Nothing. I just thought it was fun." He sauntered towards her and leaned down to whisper in her ear. "Aren't you enjoying this little play of pretend though?"

It was a threat that made her go still. Clara leaned away. She pursed her lips and swallowed, her emotions swinging between hatred, anger, and fear.

Emir pulled Flynn away from her. His hands weighed heavy on the other prince's shoulder. "You may want to keep your distance, Prince Flynn."