With a sigh, I pull her into my chest to relieve her worries. Everything was going to be fine for her, as long as she pretended that everything that was happening to me didn't affect her.

"Well I'm definitely not the favorite Kaylee so I'm sure your spot is safe and secure."

She shakes her head insistently and I pull back from her slightly to try to gather what the issue was.

"Cortez." Jayden calls to me and I snatch my attention from her for a second to see him motioning behind me to the teen who was standing awkwardly awaiting to speak to Kaylee.

"They were talking about— having a baby."

My entire body went cold and I felt as though the blood had completely drained from my face. The air was suddenly much thinner than before and harder to force into my lungs.

All I could hear was static and it seemed as though a match was being held to my cheeks from how hot they ran.

"Hey Kaylee, can we talk for a sec?"
"I'm busy right now Anthony."
"I'll make it quick I swear."

Kaylee appeared ready to shoot him down again, more aggresively this time but I back away from her and stiffly motion towards him with my head.

"No it's fine, you two talk. I'll find you later." She searches my eyes for actual confirmation and I simply give her another nod of encouragement with a fake tight lipped grin before turning away.

When my back was towards her I was finally able to allow the horror I felt overcome my expression.

I slowly made my way back over to Jayden clenching and unclenching my fists hanging at my sides.

"Is everything alright?" He asks as soon as I'm close enough for him to read my face.

The world felt like it was shaking and crumbling beneath me trying to knock me off balance.

I couldn't believe I had let this happen. I knew Kaylee would be in danger if she ever found out and I should have been more cautious. My parents weren't crazy but they weren't exactly of sound mind either, they hurt me because they hated me— I didn't know that all it would take to make them feel the same way towards their precious jewel was simply enlightening her to who they really were.

This was Christian's own flesh and blood and somehow he was suddenly on board with treating her the same way he did me?

"I- I dunno, I feel kind of dizzy." I force out with intense struggle. My breaths were becoming more shallow as my hearing grew less proficient.

"Did you eat this morning?" My head shakes in response as I found it impossible to speak anymore. I couldn't actually remember when was the last time this week I had a full meal and not just a smuggled snack.

"Okay, let's go get you something. Cafeteria is still open for a few more minutes." I nod distractedly in agreement just trying to keep it together long enough to regain my senses.

Protecting Kaylee until I was old enough to move out was always the plan because I knew she wasn't much younger than me and she would be fully aware of her surroundings and able to advocate for herself by the time I was eighteen. A baby completely throws a wrench in those plans. How could I in good conscious allow a helpless baby to be raised in that house with those lunatics without anyone sane to look after it? And what exactly were my options when I came to preventing it, slipping my mother birth control? There was no practical plan that I could set in motion.

Jayden turns with an encouraging motion and I follow taking a step forward only to stumble as though the ground had been snatched up from underneath me.