Mixtape

you tried to call Robin at least three times but she wasn't home. you needed her help to go get an outfit, like billy suggested.

you were wandering in the house, thinking. you sat on the couch and got the bracelet out of your pocket. it meant so much to you that eddie kept it for you.

it was a gift from your older sister, when you were 9. you used to be very close, and she would always try to keep you away from your parents when they were fighting. she used to come to your room and put your headphones on your head and make you listen to some of your favorite songs so you won't have to ear them screaming downstairs.
when you were 15 your mom got all of her things and left with your sister, leaving you with your dad. you never really understood why and you had a lot of troubles to move on.

your dad never really paid attention to you, he would always sit on the couch, drink a lot when he was home from work. one day, he also left. he told you you were old enough to be responsible of your own person, and left you some money.

you felt alone, abandonned, and useless. but eddie was here, he would invite you over everyday and you both would hang out at the arcade, in town... and robin came back. you started to see eddie way less, because you missed your bestfriend. and you eventually forgot all of this.

the phone started ringing and you got out of your memories to pick up. it was robin.

« - my mom said you called three times, are you okay ? » she asked
« - yeah i am, i just need your help. meet me in starcourt at 6, next to the scoops ahoy. »
« - i'll be there. »

you hang up and took your things. you had some time to walk, and think about everything you had in mind. why wouldn't eddie's face erase from your head ? he gave you butterflies, didn't he ? why ?
walking in the streets, you heard someone calling your name. you turned around and saw Jonathan Byers coming to you.

« - y/n, wait ! » he said out of breath.

you smiled at him. you really liked jonathan, he was the nicest guy you've ever met. you knew he had a crush on Nancy, and since she wasn't with steve anymore you couldn't understand why he wouldn't try something.

« - jonathan ! how are you ? »
« - i'm great actually, i wanted to ask you if you were going to steve's party tonight. » he said
« - yeah, i'm going with billy. why ? »
« - could you try to talk to nancy for me ? she isn't returning my calls, and avoids me. i think i messed up. »
« - sure, what did you do ? »
« - it's kinda complicated, but let's say i wasn't clear in what i wanted and she might've taken it badly. »
« - i'll do my best, don't worry. »
« - thank you, really. it's been a while since we haven't seen each other ! how is everything going on with ... billy ? »
« - i know ... i just don't have much time for myself, but i'm alright. why wouldn't you come tonight ? »

he told you he will think about it, and you left to get to starcourt.
you found robin and you both started wandering around the stores, searching for something.
but you didn't really have your mind in shopping, you were realizing that dating billy took you away from your friends. they all had their opinion about your boyfriend, but you wished they could see him how you see him.

« - what about this ? would look great on you. » said robin.
it was a very nice dress, but you didn't feel like wearing something like that since billy was very protective.
« - nah, maybe something softer. »
« - and what about theses shorts and this top ? »

fuck all of this. you weren't going to dress up for a party, especially when you knew you wouldn't feel comfortable.

« - forget it, i'll just wear some jeans and one of my t-shirts. but i have an idea. » you said with a smile.

you had literally robbed the lingerie store, and you took what you knew billy would love. he wasn't going to be disappointed and you hoped tonight will make you think straight again.

you went home and robin left to go her date. she was excited but also kind of stressed, but you assured her everything will be fine.

you put on some jeans with a belt, and a black top you knew billy loved on you. of course, you were wearing the matching set you bought earlier underneath your clothes. you did your makeup and took care of your hair.

« - babe i'm home ! » you heard billy say while locking the door behind him.
you got out of the bathroom and he looked at you in awe.
« - here you are, pretty little thing. come here. » he said smirking and grabbing your waist to kiss you.

you kissed him with all of your heart. you missed him. his scent, his lips, his warmth. everything, you loved everything in him.

« - you look absolutely gorgeous. » he whispered while looking right into your eyes.
« - and you have lipstick all over your lips, wait. » you giggled.

your red lipstick smudged a little bit on his mouth and you tried to remove it with your thumb, and he bit your finger slowly.

« - i could eat you right now. » he said in a raspy voice.
« - but we're already late. so you'll have to be patient, sir. » you teased him, knowing how much he loved when you called him that.

he slapped your ass and went to take a shower while you went in the kitchen to roll a joint.

« - did you get the weed ? » he asked from the shower
« - yeah i did, i'm rolling a blunt, want some ? »
« - nah i'll smoke there, but thank you honey. »

you lit it up and started to smoke while looking at it the window. you then thought about the mixtape you took from the box at eddie's. you went to take your walkman and headphones. you put the mixtape in it and started to play the first song. it was eddie's voice, with an acoustic guitar.

« - summer after mid school, when we first met
we'd smoke cigarettes to radiohead
and on my 15th birthday we got matching lighters

used to steal your father's liquor and climb to the roof
talk about our future like we had a clue
never planned that one day i'd be loosing you

in another life
i would be your boy
we'd keep all our promises, be us against the world.
in another life
i would make you stay
so i don't have to say you were the one that got away.

you were june, i was your johnny cash
never one without the other we made a pact
sometimes when i miss you, i put those records on.

someone said you were now doing good
saw you downtown singing the blues
it's time to face the music, you're no longer my muse

in another life
i would be your boy
we'd keep all our promises, be us against the world.
in another life
i would make you stay
so i don't have to say you were the one that got away.

all my money can't buy me a time machine, no
can't replace you with a million things, no
cause now i pay the price.

in another life,
i would be your man
we'd keep all our promises, be us against the world. »