Chapter 20 | Family

L U C A S 

'Lucas?'

I put down my headphones and pause the music. 'Yeah?'

The glass of the recording room is quite dark, so I can't see who's there. I walk out to see Jonah, my agent, standing there, holding what looks like a file.

'Jonah.' I nod my head towards the file. 'This it?'

'Yes, sir.' He hands it to me. It's quite thin.

'This is all of it?'

He nods. 'She's a normal highschooler. Nothing new.'

It is wrong, trying to find background on one of Sadie's friends, but it was urgent.

Two weeks ago, a few months after Sadie's birthday, she ran into Luna, and found her hanging out with Sadie's bullies, and according to Sadie, the second the saw her, they stopped speaking and instead gave her weird looks.

'It's obvious that they were talking about me.' Sadie had said, shrugging, acting like she didn't care, but I knew it hurt to see one of her closest friends befriending her bully.

My fists clench around the file. All I want is to kill everyone who hurts her, but she won't like that, and I'd rather kill myself than do something she won't like.

'You can leave now.' I say curtly to Jonah.

'But, sir, what about your song, any update? I need to book you a new show, but I need to know exactly-'

'Jonah. Leave. We'll talk tomorrow.'

He hangs his head and nods. 'Yes, sir. Goodnight.'

I don't reply. Instead, I turn to the sheet of notes and music that cover the surface of the table. This song needs to be perfect, but right now, it's a mess.

I groan and rub my temples, a headache starting to form. I look at the time. 10:40. Mom will be mad if I'm home late.

I pack my stuff and leave the recording studios. Immediately, I'm hit by the flashing lights of paparazzi and yelling.

Shit, someone must have busted my location.

Suddenly, my bodyguard Travis appears out of nowhere and pulls me towards the car and away from the chaos. Paparazzi still scream my name and try to get me to speak, but my headache transformed into a full migraine, and I don't want to talk to anyone.

Once I'm in the safety of my car, and Travis is driving off, I finally acknowledge him.

'Thanks.' I say, weakly.

He just nods. He looks mad.

'Travis?'

'What were you thinking?' He hisses at me, and I'm surprised by the sudden aggression. 'Going in and out without a disguise, you'll be all over the gossip sites tomorrow. You know how much your father hates publicity.'

Fun fact about Travis, he's my second father. No matter how professional he is, he cares more than a normal bodyguard should.

'Sorry. Bad mood.' I say, as if that would excuse my behaviour.

My family hates being in the prying eyes of the public, they want us kids to live a normal life. Well, as normal as you can be when you are a semi-famous singer, your father's a billionaire, and your mother is a retired model that was very well known back in the day.

We drive in absolute silence, apart from the occasional huff from Travis, the car is so quiet you could hear a pin drop.

Once we enter the gates to our house, I instantly leave the car and barge into the house, heading towards the kitchen to find Maria sitting there, on her phone.