Our fallen constellations.

Emerging through the midnight gateway, A chromatic scale of light painted the abyss in which the stars lived in, an empty backdrop with its only life being the star's essences. A city of pearls that had unparalleled luminescence.

A ragged emotion tore away at her darkened skin, making her feel exposed. In a city of stars, she was a meteor, easily exposed. In a city of ancient beings that refused to die Ina  lacklustre fashion, she was a mere mortal. Awe, Agony, Jealousy, the three emotions created an uncomfortable sense of displacement.

Rejected from the earth, only to await the acceptance of the stars. Even if she was the human in the alien civilization, she would be viewed as the outsider to those who lived there. She saw the similarities she and they shared, yet she couldn't bear to take her biker helmet off.

They were star formations, laughing and conversing with eachother, or gambling wildly, or preparing for the 'Expiry party' of one of the many stars soon to become another splash of paint on this dark canvas.

Any longer here, and she'd surely be caught. She retraced her steps back through the opalescent gates, only to hear her name called at her. Her heart stopped, only to speed up unnaturally, as sweat struggled to form in the vacuum called space.

She tumbled through, sighing in relief as she rolled onto the sandy coasts. The waves simmered, reflecting the night's eye at her. It seemed to be 'cheerful.', in its waning moon cycle. She smiled at the moon, taking her helmet off. Her hair flowed with the oceans, the salty breeze pleasing her as she inhaled deeply, relaxed.

To the constellations up there, what was she? Was she the moon, and they her sun? Or were they truly the sun, and she just the ocean of a foreign planet, unable to retell their story in fear the people wouldn't look at her the same way anymore?

"How was it?" She heard a voice from above call out to her, soft yet angelic. The voice flowed into her ears through every side, like water slowly rising to heights unknown.

"I still can't comprehend it." She replied. "Thousands, millions, maybe trillions of constellations exist. The twelve most know each have a missing star, and those stars are 'fallen constellations.' Out of the billions of people alive on this earth, through the millions of years humanity has evolved, I'm one of them. Which normal person would believe that unless they've been to the gate?" She heard the celestial voice chuckle.

"Dear child, there is no need to overthink it. There is another, afterall, in this age. The current ten came to be, well before the constellations were even discovered by you humans. And we want our final fallen constellations to live up to their name, since your appearance will be a surprise to every astronomer, and a mystery to be solved." She frowned at the response.

"Do you know why you were born the way you were? With your eyes that resembled resembled setting sun, or the valuable, golden sands of the Sahara? Or with your skin, being a line of equality between the main races you humans made based on color? Or with your dark hair, that puts the night to shame?"

"No. I don't. And I wouldn't know if it was caused by genetics or by whatever you were about to say. I don't know my parents." She grumbled.

"We know. And it's because you were chosen. You are unique. You are the one that will become one of the many stars up there." The voice carried, its serene tone easing her expression. "Well. You've stayed quite the while. Feel free to return tomorrow. And please, you don't need the biker helmet. They'd be pleased to meet you, Cloud."

"I'm not ready."

"Nor were they."

"But they had something going for them."