I Spill The Beans And Hope I Don't Make A Mess (Piper's Perspective)

Start from the beginning

"You want me to go with you?" She asked gently. I nodded nervously. She hugged me and kissed me briefly. "Of course I would. When is it?"

"Um..." I rubbed the back of my neck sheepishly. "Tomorrow?"

"Whoa." She backed up. "This is short notice, Pipes." I flinched a little as the nickname reminded me of Jason.

"I know. The hosts didn't tell me until yesterday."

"Then you should've told me yesterday!" She joked and bopped me on the nose with her index finger. "We should go tell my parents."

"Will they let you come?" I asked nervously.

"They better." She laughed and pulled me along, her lightheartedness putting my worries at bay.

"Woah." Shel gazed in awe at the ceiling that was enchanted to look like the sky. Today the sky was extra blue and perfectly clear.

"Does that open up to the sky?" Shel asked. She yawned and rubbed her eyes; we had gotten back to the school pretty late last night. She had slept in an extra bed that Annabeth had conjured up for Shel when I had gone to get her.

"Um- well, actually it's a glass roof, but you can't see it."

"The candles are floating," Shel realized.

"Special effects. I think they're hanging from a thin thread, but I'm not sure. Cool, right?" I winced. Lying to Shel felt wrong, like pouring mud over a small puppy. I pulled her over to our section of the Gryffindor table. I looked around and checked things off a mental list.

- No ghosts. McGonagall had told them to stay away today; even Professor Binns wasn't here.

- McGonagall didn't have her wand while talking about the ball at the front of the hall today; She had agreed that we should make the wizards and witches thing as discreet as possible.

"Is her hat for the wizards and witches theme? And the robes everyone's wearing?" Shel asked quietly. I panicked for a second but then realized she'd provided me with a viable excuse.

"Yeah." Okay, so maybe not so discreet.

- Finally, food was already on the tables. I had arrived right on time (or technically a bit late, from some of the teacher's perspectives). 

Everything was good, I hoped. We'd also have to leave before dessert was introduced, for that also appeared by magic. I clutched my head. I was already rethinking my decision to bring Shel here. Not that it was ever a good idea. All I could do now was hope nobody talked about magic near her. Which was... very unlikely.

"Oh my god," Shel sucked in a breath. I was thinking the same thing. The hall was adorned with purple and gold wreaths. The house table had been removed. There was a huge space in the middle, which I assumed was for dancing, and around the dance floor were circular glass tables, five seats per table. There were bouquets of purple and gold flowers, lilies, tulips, lotuses, and many different types, in the center of each table.

Some people from the Gryffindor house shrieked with ecstasy, breaking us out of our reverie. Music began to play softly. A slow song. I grinned, and Shel and I exchanged excited glances. We ran, hand-in-hand, to the dance floor.

Swaying with the music, I began to notice things all around me. I immensely enjoyed this moment with Shel, but my ADHD was really acting up. Shel was wearing a light, dark green dress. The silky material draped over her shoulder, twisted around her waist, and slightly brushed the floor. Her hair was like dark, rogue waves; spilling out around her neck and down to her waist. She wore a pearl necklace to top it off; the pearls were pure white with small streaks of forest green breaking through. She had paired the outfit with some informal white Nike high tops, sporting the Nike symbol in black, on the basis that "heels or any type of fancy shoes" were uncomfortable. However, it didn't ruin the look at all; in fact, she was beautiful.