New Allies

When I awoke the next morning the sun was already up. I had overslept quite a lot. I looked around the bushes for River but couldn't find her. Had she started the plan without me? No, she wouldn't. She knows it's too dangerous to go alone. I hope she's alright.

Just as I prayed for her safety, I heard her familiar dragon scream from the direction of the Hunters.

I pulled out my sword and ran as fast as I could towards her cries for help. If those Dragon Hunters had gotten to her I'd give them Hell. As I looked up over the boulders though, I noticed all the Hunters had been knocked out and the dragon's had more or less all escaped. The reason River was calling for me was because she was backed into a corner. Apparently Hiccup and his dragon had taken care of the Hunters and their dragons. If I didn't do something soon, that would also include my River.

"Stop!" I screamed as I saw his Nightfury prepare another blast. I ran as fast as I could towards them and while I was running, I sent a feather their way.

"Toothless, look out!" Toothless, the Nightfury, shot at River, but the shot only hit my feather and exploded. Hiccup and Toothless both stared my way, seemingly confused.

"What was that!? What're you doing!? Those Speed Stingers are dangerous. Be careful of its tail, you don't want to end up paralyzed, trust me." It was sweet of Hiccup to try and help me, but as he'd soon come to realize, I was right where I wanted to be.

"I won't let you hurt her." I threatened. I stood in between the two dragons. My wings folded out as much as possible to make me look as big as I possibly could while still protecting her.

"You.. you've got…"

"Wings? Yeah, I know. Now calm your dragon and I won't be forced to use them!"

"You've got… wings… Toothless.. she's got… she's got wings…" he was losing it. His speech pattern became more and more dissociated the more he spoke until he finally collapsed against Toothless.

Seeing as he had passed out and no longer presented a threat, I folded my wings again to their small size on my back. Toothless seemed to calm down as well, seemingly more concerned with the boy than with us. River was ready to fight for me, but I held her back and assured her everything was alright. I slowly approached Hiccup with a small jar in my hand. Toothless growled as I got closer and River lifted her stinger in response.

"Shh, Toothless. It's alright. This'll help Hiccup wake up. I won't hurt him." Although definitely still cautious of my movements, the large dragon let me get close and poured the contents of the jar into Hiccup's mouth. As promised, he woke up not long after.

"Toothless, I had the weirdest dream. We were fighting a Speed Stinger and this person with wings came and rescued it." He said as he looked up at his dark dragon. I cleared my throat and he looked at me and River.

"Hey." I held a wing up instead of my hand and he looked speechless. Unfortunately, I was not that lucky.

"Oh Thor, it wasn't a dream. You really have wings…"

"And I know how to use 'em, yep." 

“You’re a Valkyrie… That explains how you were able to fly back here. But what're you doing with a Speed Stinger? Do you realize how dangerous they can be?" River growled at him in response. Seems she was getting offended.

"Says the guy with the Nightfury. And, I’m not a Valkyrie. Truth is, I’m not sure why I have wings but I can promise you, I’m no winged warrior and I’m definitely not from Valhalla." I crossed my arms and he scratched the back of his head.

"Touché. Now, you said you knew how to use the wings, are you fast?" He seemed to catch on quickly, though I’m not sure if he believed me or just pretended.

"Fast enough to outfly you any day." I said with a slightly cocky tone.

"Oh, confident, are we? Care to test that?"

"Alright. Let's make it a short race. Your dragon with you on its back and me carrying my dragon. First one to the top of the tallest mountain here wins."

"You're on. Ready?" He got on top of his dragon and I took a hold of River.

"Born ready."

"Let's go, bud!" We both got off the ground in an instant.

I wanted this to be a fair race so I didn't use any ailments on him as we flew. I had never raced against a Nightfury before, but they're definitely as fast as the rumors say they are. It wasn't easy to keep up with River in my arms but we managed to land on the mountain peak at the same time.

"Alright, bud! Nice flying." Hiccup praised Toothless once he got off of him.

"Your dragon is pretty fast, I'm impressed."

"And you were amazing! I've been working on a flight suit myself, but it'll only help me glide, it'll never compare to actual wings. You gotta come with me back to Dragon's Edge and meet the others."

"I don't know, Hiccup. Not everyone accepts the wings as easily as you did. I think it's better if I stay here, away from everybody."

"Don't say that. The others will love you! Not to mention it'll be a lot safer for you and your dragon. If the Hunters knew you were on their island they'd comb the entire place to find you. We can keep you hidden from everybody."

"But can you promise the others won't say anything? Can you promise they'll accept me with my wings or that they'll accept River? How can you be sure they won't tell anyone on Berk about us?" I pet River on her snout to comfort her.

"I know these guys. They'll keep your secret. Trust me, you'll love it there. Just come say hi to the others at least. I wanna talk with you some more, but preferably on a safer island."

"Mmm.. alright. I'll come with you, but the moment I sense any trickery, I'm out of there and you'll never see me again."

"Got it. Now, you good to go? It's not far but we should get going as soon as possible." He jumped on Toothless and got ready to leave.

"I just need some things from my house and I'll be ready. Let's go." I grabbed River and flew down on the ground again. She didn't like flying all that much so while she was running on the ground, I'd be flying in between the trees just above her.

We made it to my hut and I grabbed as many things as I could carry. I got my bow, all the different tipped arrows, my knives, daggers, sword and some clothes. Once everything was packed I grabbed River and followed Hiccup out over the open sea.