Chapter 20

#A\N: The events of this chapter also happen at the same time as Chapter 18#

"Found some backup, huh?" Mumei asked as she stood across from Kiara and Iroha, her dagger at the ready.
"I'm a lot stronger than last time too!" Kiara replied confidently, her sword catching the sunlight as she raised it.
Iroha followed her lead, drawing her katana.
"Are you braver?" Mumei challenged.
"Or do you have to rely on your friend there to save you?"
Kiara scowled, her hand tightening around her weapon.
"Don't get cocky." She hissed.
"I'm not, I'm just wondering why you need to put the odds in your favor, unless you're scared of me." Mumei said calmly, her mouth twisting into a smirk.
This comment struck a nerve.
"I'm not scared! I don't need any help to defeat you!" Kiara snarled back defensively.
"If that's so then why don't we have a little one on one?" Mumei grinned wickedly, the tip of her blade glinting dangerously.
"Sounds great." Kiara hissed.
"Iroha, stay back."
"Bu-" the samurai tried to protest, but Kiara had already started her charge, her sword flashing menacingly.

The metallic clang of Kiara's sword and Mumei's dagger colliding rang out, sparks flying.
"Let's see if you can keep up!" Mumei taunted with a sadistic grin on her face before charging forwards once more.
Kiara tried her best to block and parry the rapid strikes from The Guardian of Civilization, but eventually one of the blows sent her stumbling back.
Mumei took the opportunity and leapt at Kiara, the blade of her dagger glistening in her hands as it slashed towards Kiara's chest.

* Clang! *

Iroha's katana easily blocked the attack before it reached the phoenix.
"Iroha? I-"
"Don't be foolish, you're not the only one with a stake in this fight!" the samurai snapped.
Iroha's voice was filled with determination as she stood strong against the fierce strike from Mumei.
"Hah!" she shouted, pushing Mumei back.
"I guess it's gonna be two on one after all." Mumei smirked deviously.
"Oh well, the more the merrier!"
Kiara growled in annoyance and charged forward again, with Iroha by her side this time.

The three women's weapons clashed together again and again, Mumei was too fast and the combination of Kiara and Iroha was too strong for either side to gain an advantage.
The three of them each paused, breathing heavily and sweating.
"You're good, I'll admit." Mumei laughed.
Both Kiara and Iroha glared at her.
"But you have yet to see my full power." Mumei continued.
Mumei's shoulders began to shake with laughter as an ominous black mist surrounded her.
"Whoa, what the hell?!" Kiara yelled, staring wide eyed at the sight of the cloud of darkness surrounding Mumei.
"What..." Iroha whispered.
A flash of lightning lit up the sky, illuminating the scene in an eerie silver light, as Mumei's grin grew more sinister and grotesque looking.

"Mumei!"
Mumei's head slowly turned at the sound of Fauna's voice.
"Stop!" The Goddess of Nature called.
"You don't have to fight them!" Sana, who was standing next to Fauna, added.
"HeHeHe, DoN't WoRRy, I'LL tAkE caRE oF tHeM!" Mumei giggled, her face now contorted into an inhuman grin with piercing red eyes.
A flash of black energy suddenly shot out of the swirling mass of darkness, heading straight for Iroha and Kiara.
Fauna gasped and shot her own energy blasts at the oncoming darkness, hoping to slow its speed.
Her magic managed to slow the black blasts enough for Kiara and Iroha to escape.
Mumei's head turned back towards Fauna and Sana, her body twitching slightly, "WwHhYy?" she growled.
Fauna stepped closer, "Mumei! We don't have to fight them, understand!?"
Mumei's head tilted back slightly, making her current appearance even more disturbing, "DiD WwEe wiN?" her voice was deep and distorted like it came from another being.
"Yes, Mumei! Now, stop!" Fauna insisted.
"No, I DdoN'T WanNa StOp YeEeTt!" Mumei snarled.

Meanwhile, Kiara and Iroha looked at each other in utter confusion; why were the other members of The Council the ones trying to stop her?
"Guys, you okay?" Gura asked.
"Gura! Ame!" Kiara gasped, quickly turning to face her friends.
"What's going on?"
"At the cost of my ribs, we've got a kind of peaceful solution in the works." Amelia replied, her voice strained slightly.
"Where's Koyori?" Iroha asked.
"And Ina?" Kiara added.
"Don't worry about them, take cover for now." Amelia instructed.
The four girls quickly ran over and hid behind a rock formation; big enough to provide cover, but still small enough to see over.
"Is Koyori okay?" Iroha pressed, worried.
"She's fine, just watch." Amelia assured.

The group peeked over the rocks, watching as Fauna and Sana continued to try to talk Mumei down, though it was clear that they weren't having much success.
"MmMaAyBe YoUu SshOuLdD BeE My tArGeT InStEaD..." Mumei hissed, approaching Fauna slowly.
"Mumei... you don't get it..." Fauna pleaded.
"NoO yYoOu... BETRAYyyYy" Mumei shrieked, her voice echoing through the hillsides like the howl of a wolf.
"NOW!" Fauna shouted.
Suddenly, several black voids opened up around Mumei, purple tentacles rose from them and ensnared the dark drenched Guardian of Civilization.
Ina and Koyori leapt from their hiding spot nearby.
Mumei snarled and hissed as she struggled against Ina's tentacles.
"Night-night!" Koyori chirped, tossing a glass vial containing a purple glowing liquid in Mumei's direction.
The vial shattered into a cloud of smoke on Mumei's head that rendered the beast she had become unconscious.
Ina let Mumei go, The Guardian of Civilization returning to normal shortly after she hit the ground.
"Yes!" Koyori exclaimed.
"It worked!"
Kronii emerged from where Ina and Koyori had been hiding, approaching Mumei's limp form and kneeling beside it.
"Now we just have to stop Bae..." Sana muttered.

Kronii cradled Mumei's head gently in her arms, "How long is she going to be out?" She asked quietly.
"Probably around two minutes or so, I tried to make the mixture weak." Koyori explained.
Kronii nodded, gazing down at Mumei.
"Great work, guys!" Kiara called, rushing over with Iroha, Gura, and Amelia close behind.
"Now come on, we need to help Calli and Irys!"
"Hang on, where's Chloe?" Iroha inquired.
"She went ahead with Flare and Noel to make sure Lui and Laplus were okay." Koyori informed.
"Kiara's right, we need to stop Bae as soon as possible!" Sana urged.
The others nodded, heading off to where The Goddess of Chaos and their friends were fighting.
"Coming, Kronii?" Fauna asked, noticing the Warden of Time hadn't moved.
"Uh, I'll... catch up... I've got a lot to consider." Kronii replied, still staring at Mumei.
"Are you alright?" Fauna gently placed a hand on Kronii's injured shoulder, a dim green glow emitting from her hand as she healed the warden's wound.
Kronii glanced up at Fauna, "Yeah, I'll be fine."
Fauna nodded, letting go of Kronii's shoulder and moving quickly to catch up to the others.