Chapter 17

"So, what now, Bae?" Fauna asked.
The Council stood on a tall hill that overlooked the city, it was in shambles, smoke billowing out of dozens of buildings.
"Now... we wait for the arrival of The Firstborn Goddess." Baelz replied, her eyes scanning the destruction below as she spoke.
"We just... wait?" Sana asked.
"...Are you questioning me, Sana?" Baelz inquired sternly.
"...No, Bae..." Sana answered, her hands balling into fists, she was getting tired of Baelz's attitude towards her.
"Good, stay quiet until I need you."
Sana bit the inside of her cheek and took a step backwards, accidentally bumping into Kronii.
"Odd time to be impatient, Sana." she remarked.
"What do you even mean by that?"
"I'm just saying, we're about to accomplish our goal and you seem awfully on edge, I wonder what could possibly be bothering you?" Kronii continued, circling The Speaker of Space like a shark.
"Leave me alone, Kronini." Sana growled quietly.
Kronii smirked at her before complying, walking over to talk to Mumei instead.

"Sana?" Fauna asked.
"Everything alright?"
Sana sighed.
"Faufau, I..." she paused and motioned for her to follow her to where they would be just out of earshot of the rest of The Council.
"I think..." Sana began before sighing again.
"Tell me, Sana." Fauna urged, putting a gentle hand on her shoulder.
"...Have you ever had to choose between... those you love and... what you think is right?" Sana asked finally.
Fauna looked at her for a moment, pondering her words, "...I can't say I have, Sana, but it sounds like a difficult situation."
Fauna replied.
Sana nodded, "It does doesn't it?"
"...Have you ever had to choose, Sana?" Fauna asked.
Sana pursed her lips and looked away, her internal conflict eating her alive.
"No... but..." she inhaled deeply, "How would you feel if I did something that went against Bae's wishes, Faufau?"

Fauna stayed silent for a moment, thinking about Sana's question carefully.
"It... would be difficult, but if it was for a good reason..." she trailed off.
"Like... for something like the benefit of the world, right?"
Sana looked at Fauna with an unsure expression, silently begging her to agree with her.
"Yeah, something like that." Fauna responded after a brief moment.
The two looked at each other for a moment before Fauna's expression hardened slightly.
"Sana... you... you wouldn't..."
"I don't mean to hurt you, Faufau- I don't want to hurt 'anyone,' but... the things happening right now... I'd give anything to make them stop..."
"I know..." Fauna looked at the ground.
"Would you really... betray us?" she asked quietly, afraid of the answer.
"It's not like that, Faufau, I swear it's not." Sana assured her.
"I'm sorry... I just... I can't let any more innocent people get hurt..."
Sana explained.
"Sana... I... I can't stop you from doing whatever it is you plan to do, but I..." Fauna looked back up at Sana and sighed.
"I will remain loyal to what I believe in..."
"I understand." Sana said, nodding slightly, looking Fauna square in the eyes.
There was silence between the two women before Fauna pulled Sana into a hug.
Sana hesitated for a second, before hugging her back.
When Fauna let go of the hug she said:
"...Do what you have to do."