Chapter 2 - Initiation

DISCLAIMER - JESSIE KNIGHT IS NOT ON THE ARSENAL SQUAD AND IS A FICTIONAL CHARACTER. I Think it is better not to do speculative relationships, and make this fictional.

Lucy approached her childhood home with a heavy heart. The dark red bricks and the gentle echoes of the wind chimes in the autumn breeze only added to her growing sense of unease. It was 11 PM, and she could see the bedside light in the living room was on, signalling that her parents were still awake.

She trudged into the lounge, where she was greeted by her stern looking parents, Milly and Tony.

"It is 11 PM, where have you been Lucy!" Milly scowled. Lucy squared her shoulders, ready for the impending argument. "Mum, I am a grown adult. I was out with a friend," she responded, determined not to be berated for her late night.

But Tony was not so easily deterred. He looked up from his newspaper and shot a withering glare in Lucy's direction. "What has happened to our wonderful little girl? Always out late and what are you wearing?" He gestured disdainfully at her tracksuit, a constant source of criticism from her father, who believed she should dress more like a lady outside of the pitch.

But Lucy was not in the mood for her father's usual nagging. "If you must know, I had some great news today. I made the first team. Not like any of you care," she shot back, feeling a sense of triumph in the face of their criticism. For a moment, her mother's face softened as she went to congratulate her daughter, but Lucy had already stormed out of the lounge and up to her room.

Once in the safety of her childhood bedroom, with posters of football players covering the walls, Lucy took a moment to catch her breath and gather her thoughts. Her phone lit up, causing her nerves to jangle, and she gasped in shock when she saw that Leah Williamson, one of the best players in the world, had followed her.

Her hands shaking, she nervously opened the message she had received from Leah: "Hey team mate! Welcome to the squad. Can't wait to see you in training tomorrow."

Lucy was in a state of disbelief, her mind racing with a mixture of excitement and nervousness. What if she said something stupid in her reply? She took a deep breath and typed out a response: "Hi Leah! Thank you for the warm welcome. I'm so excited to be on the team with you. Can't wait for tomorrow's training."

She pressed send and lay in bed, her mind whirling with excitement as she waited for a response. When none came, she eventually fell into a restless sleep.

The next morning, Lucy was a bundle of nerves as she sat at the breakfast table, picking at her food and thinking about the day ahead. Her mother, Milly, tried to start a conversation, but Lucy was distant, still upset from yesterday's argument. Milly noticed her daughter's mood and tried to lighten the mood by mentioning that she had packed her lunch for today's training session.

But Lucy was in no mood to be placated. "I'm 21 years old. I don't need you to pack my lunch. I can do that myself," she snapped, grabbing her boots and heading out the door.

As she made her way to the Arsenal training ground, her thoughts were still preoccupied with yesterday's events and Leah's lack of response. She entered the changing rooms, where the sounds of the other girls laughing and chatting filled the air.

Lucy was a ball of nerves and didn't know what to do first, so she headed straight to her locker and began to change for training, her gear already laid out for her

As Lucy stepped into the grand and spacious changing room, her eyes widened with awe as she gazed at her new teammates, a collection of some of the most skilled and talented players from around the world. She took in the sights and sounds of the room, taking note of the busy chatter and excited laughter, until she suddenly realized that Leah Williamson was nowhere to be seen.

Before she could dwell on this thought for too long, she was approached by Jessie Knight, Jordan Nobbs, and Katie McCabe. Jessie wrapped her arms around Lucy in a warm embrace, welcoming her to the team. Katie, the Irish Midfielder, followed suit, expressing her excitement to have Lucy on board. The trio chatted and joked, immediately putting Lucy at ease with their friendly and light-hearted personalities.

Just then, the door opened and the entire room erupted into cheers as Leah entered the room. Lucy's heart skipped a beat as she gazed at Leah, admiring her skill and grace on the field. Jessie leaned over and whispered in Lucy's ear, "Watch out, Lucy. Don't get too enamoured with Leah, she's mine!" Lucy's face fell as she processed this information, realising that the rumours about Leah and Jessie were, in fact, true.

Disappointed, she left the changing room and headed out to the pitch for training, determined to focus on her game and push aside any unrequited feelings.

The training session was intense, with manager Jonas Eidevall leading the charge with a well-structured plan for the day. Jordan, Katie, and the experienced captain Kim Little, pushed the team to their limits, with Lucy struggling to keep up with the pace of the session. However, during a break in training, Jonas pulled Lucy aside and complimented her on her skills, noting that she had the potential to be a great player. He put Lucy and Leah on the same team for the rest of the session, telling Lucy that Leah would help her with her positioning and communication.

Lucy felt nervous but also excited, as she had always admired Leah from afar. The session was challenging, but Lucy learned a lot from Leah, observing her movements and mimicking her positioning. The two worked well together, communicating effectively and scoring several goals.

As the session came to an end, Jonas praised Lucy for her quick learning and hard work, telling her that she would be a valuable asset to the team. The rest of the team greeted her with congratulations as she walked into the changing room, with Steph Catley, Caitlin Foord, Beth Mead, Viv Miedema, and Frida Maanum all offering their support and well-wishes. Lucy felt a warm glow in her chest, grateful for such a talented and supportive group of women.

Lucy stepped out of the changing room, her shoulder bag slung over her shoulder. She made her way towards the exit, eager to escape the overwhelming energy of the stadium and retire to the comfort of her own space. However, before she could reach the door, she felt a firm hand on her shoulder, spinning her around to face a tall figure.

The woman before her was a vision of beauty, with long, golden locks that cascaded down her back, framing her sharp, angular features. Her piercing blue eyes sparkled with amusement as she spoke, her voice filled with a playful tone.

"Where do you think you're going, Miss Simpson? We have plans tonight," she said with a grin. Lucy blinked, taken aback by the sudden confrontation. She gazed up at the blonde, trying to hide her disappointment at knowing that she was with Jessie.

"I don't think I'm up for that, Leah," she said, trying to mask her exhaustion. "It's my first day, and I just want to get some rest."

Leah's smile broadened, and she placed a comforting hand on Lucy's shoulder. "Come on, you'll have a blast. It's a tradition for the new players to go out and party with the team. You'll love it," she said, trying to convince her.

Lucy wavered for a moment, torn between the comfort of solitude and the excitement of adventure. But the infectious energy in Leah's eyes was too much for her to resist. She found herself melting under her gaze, her resolve crumbling. "Okay, let's do it," she said, finally giving in to the persuasive voice of her new friend.

The group of players made their way to the club, the atmosphere electrifying with excitement. As they stepped inside, Lucy realised that this was not just any ordinary party. It was a celebration of the team's recent achievements, and a bonding experience for the players. The music was thumping, the lights were flashing, and the dance floor was packed with bodies swaying to the beat.

Jordan Nobbs and Katie McCabe were in the thick of it, dancing and laughing, their faces alight with joy. Beth, with a mischievous glint in her eye, pulled Lucy onto the dance floor, and soon enough, the two of them were lost in a frenzy of movement, their laughter ringing out over the din of the club.

Lucy felt a wave of relief wash over her as she danced, her worries and concerns melting away into the background.

The night continues, the drama continues.