Ch. 23: Reality Check for the Lemieux Adults (Reprise)

Third-Person POV

Good Boys Never Lie: My Fears as I Found Love

So...things have officially gotten real for this good boy.

As you might or might not have known, I have been swept up in the whirlwinds of romance by the son of the headmistress at the new school. And in case you guys have been living under a rock, Sammons Falls Academy and the town that bears the same name as the school in nearby Boston is full of the supernatural: werewolves, vampires, demons, angels, fallen angels, animal shifters, dragons (yes, there are dragon shifters), hellhounds, faeries, witches, and so on.

And guess what else?

This particular good boy from the extra-conservative Lone Star State who had a very un-charmed life- yours truly- is somehow ended up being the soulmate of the future Alpha werewolf known as Matthieux Rosseaux-Yanez. And by chance, I went from being a quiet meteor content with being in the background and in the shadows to a shining star that is now one of the most popular kids on campus.

Does it change my plans for college? No.

Does it mean that I'm going to be finding my first-ever happily-ever-after? Maybe.

Do I still face the scars of my past? Yes, and with good reason.

You see, I never got a great relationship with my parents and uncle, who favored my sisters and female cousin all because they were popular and I was not. I always felt like I was the odd one out in a sea of the "cool kids" clan. And like in most cases, the odd one is always out.

For me, I was out of time, luck, and chances to be taken seriously by my family's social circles and my old school (the latter never liking nerds and freaks in general, anyway). For my family, popularity meant everything and values were considered worthless. And other than my saintly grandmother Druscilla Fabatier and my two god-siblings/best friends, I had no one by my side.

No thanks to my family and my old classmates and teachers, I had to learn real quick to trust myself and to keep my complaints to myself. And often, I witnessed other kids who were bullied be called jealous liars by the teachers and the principal before being forced to make nice with the populars as the latter planned to get revenge. Most kids in my shoes were driven to the point of suicide, breakdowns, or even dropping out to pursue drug abuse. I made sure to keep my head down, my lips sealed, and to give the populars whatever they wanted.

If the bullies wanted to ruin my homework, then I'd gladly let them rip it up. That meant that they could have good grades.

If I had to give up my hard-earned lunch, then I'd tell myself that a day-long (or month-long) diet would ensure that I remained skinny.

If my meager allowance (if there was any, to begin with), was the eye of some hotheaded jock who wanted to spoil his girl rotten for their date, then I'd consider being hijacked from him a charitable cause.

I made sure to give my bullies (at school and home) what they wanted because no one cared what I felt. No one would care if I would live or die. All that mattered was making them happy and suffering in silence.