With your boxes and suitcase now in the hallway, you stood in the doorway of your apartment. You took in the blank slate a new victim of production would find themselves in. You tried to relish in the moment and relive happy memories, but there were none. This was never your home, you just lived here. Stepping away from the threshold, you dropped the key onto the floor inside, then let the door weigh itself closed and slam loudly with an echo. Your apartment won, it had finally thrown you out of its loveless amenities.

    You slowly pushed the boxes, stacked atop each other, down the hallway and into the elevator that had returned from dropping the neighbor. You leaned up against the wall and took deep breaths, catching up. Nausea turned in your stomach as your body warned against this decision you'd made, but there was no going back. You dipped your head backward against the wall in the elevator, closing your eyes. This was scary, this huge leap of faith into a new unknown.

    In the lobby, you pushed the boxes out of the lift just enough to let the doors slide closed behind you. The concierge was typing away on a sleek white computer that blended into the surface of the desk. You approached him, entrusting no one would steal the three boxes that contained your life.

    "Good morning." You reflexively recite to catch his attention.

    "Good morning. Is there anything I can do for you?" His voice was grim, his face looked bored and sluggish.

    "Yes, actually. I was wondering if anyone from maintenance could bring up a dolly. I'm about to call for a cab and have a few boxes I need to get loaded up." You tried your best to sound light and steady, when in reality you felt like you were going to puke.

    He seemed annoyed at the request, even though he wan't the one you had suggested assist you. A clean manicured hand reached for the phone, the keys practically being stabbed by annoyed fingers.

    "I'll just give them a call down, they'll have someone up in a minute." His voice seemed to subconsciously wave you away, dismissing your presence.

    The contact list in your phone was short, and you found the cab company you frequented. Someone was nearby, about a ten minute wait for their arrival. Hot coffee sat in a press on the side of the room next to a bowl of fruit that looked past their date. You poured a cup, your body grateful for the caffeine, and chose a piece of fruit that looked the least battered. The paper cup warmed your hands and soothed your mind while you drank from it deeply, not minding the scalding on your tongue.

    A cab pulled up to the curb where you stood. Someone from maintenance by your side with a rusty old dolly that held your boxes in a heavy stack. He'd lifted the heaviest onto the top, the weight of it crushing the other two beneath it. You loaded the suitcase into the cab, and had help securing the boxes. The trunk snapped shut with a slam to finalize the beginning of a new journey. You stood facing the building, giving it a broken goodbye as your feelings were torn between relief and guilt. But this was why you had to leave. You could give this city everything you had, and it would take, but not give anything back. It resented you and everyone else, repulsed by your pity and grievances.

    Fog smudged the window of the chilly cab while you watched the streets pass by. An end of season chill had made your fingers go slightly pink, but not unbearably so. Familiar places swished by the window, your eyes trying to relive the experiences you had here. The bus station came into view, a big grey transport with "Pelican Town" on the marquee indicated this one belonged to you.

    Nobody was waiting or pushing each other in a greed to board, so the driver let you load up and helped situate your boxes next to you so they wouldn't shift. The coffee you'd been drinking went lukewarm which revealed the poor bitter taste of a careless brew. The bus was chilly, and you huddled into yourself to try and become more comfortable.