Chapter 3 - Specter

Chapter 3

[Tuesday| August 28, 2012| 5:00 PM]

[Eyes of Amagawa Rinko]

"Who am I?" He asks as the cool early autumn wind blow by the two of us on the deserted rooftop. "I am Amagawa Rinko, a second year student at Yoka (夜火)Academy in class B. And like you, I am also a collector of souls." "Collector of souls you say? What do you mean by that?" Zetsumu Tenha, the person sitting beside me asks. "So you are not aware of what we do... listen Zetsumu-kun, in order for me to help someone in need I made a contract with someone." He listens intently as his eyes are taking a fiercer appearance. "One hundred souls of Those Who Dwell in Darkness, in other words those things that we fought last night." "So you're saying that I have a contract like you? I'd like to believe that but I don't remember that signed one." he says scratching his head. "You don't need to remember it now, it will come when it comes." He sighs at my words and gives an exaggerated shrug. "You said you need the souls to help someone. I'd like to help you achieve that goal as there is nothing I know of my power right now. So uh... if you don't mind, may I know the specifics on who and what kind problem we are to solve." "It is not something one would openly talk about but let's just say that I want to keep someone alive no matter the cost." He crosses his arms and thinks to himself, after a few seconds no more than 30 he speaks. "Alright I'll help."

"Are you sure of this Zetsumu-kun? Have you really thought this decision through? And besides, why do you want to help me so bad when you barely know me?" He scratches his head and heaves a sigh "Well answer to your first question, yes I am sure. And I have thought this through. Now for the reason why I want to help, you see Amagawa-san, I have this strange urge to help people. I am not sure why but it was there since I was young so maybe I was hardwired to be like this." He stands up and stretches his arms. "Well one hundred of those things isn't gonna be a problem. I still got some few errands for now and I guess I'll be seeing you later tonight." He waves and walks towards the door as the cool wind blows by the two of us on the roof. "One hundred souls and the soul of a collector..." "Hmm? You said something Amagawa-san?" he turns around to me as he asks. "I didn't, anyway thank you for your help. I'd be seeing you later tonight." "Yeah, later then." He waves to me and closes the door to the rooftop. "Vechkra, I know your there." "My, my, to be able to sense me like this is quite impressive for a mere human." As I call out a voice echoed behind me and soon a hooded spectre was there standing on the rooftop. "Is he really the one?" "There can be no one else in this city besides you two. Have I not told you that?" I think about what my contractor, Vechkra, told me when I started this contract. "Are you not going to ask as to why I did not kill him earlier?" "I do not care what you do and how you are to kill him. As long as you get his soul and I win this war you will get your wish granted. Now if you'd excuse me, I have some 'matters' to attend to. Happy hunting, Human." And just like the wind she disappears. "Zetsumu-kun, I am sorry but I have to do this. I will repay you for your help in any way I can." I say, as I exit the school's rooftop.

[Eyes of Zetsumu Tehna]

"Now then what to do..." I ask myself as I walk down the residential district towards my home. "I told my boss I won't be able to go to work today, and most of the good stuff are already sold out at the supermarket..." I think about my next course of action as I also have to visit my parents today. "Ah, that might do it." The time now is 18:00 in the evening and upon reaching home, I take a shower and put on my usual clothes for night outs. "First things first. The food. Gotta make sure it's enough." I take two plastic bowls of pork cutlets from the convenience store nearby and head to the south part of town where my parents rest.

"Good evening, Mom, Dad. I brought some food." I lay one of the bowls in front of the grave that reads our family name, Zetsumu, and sit. Leaning my back against a tree nearby, I open my own bowl, put my hands together, say thanks, and dig in. The flavor was not close to what I made but still it was satisfying enough. "You know I think I made some new friends today..." I say to my parent's grave and of course I don't get a reply, "They are quite good people so far... I think. And well you may be watching over me somewhere in the afterlife and may not approve what I am doing every night, but, you raised me on the principle of helping others." I continue to talk expecting no response whatsoever. "There are no problems in regards to my studies and my part time job is good so don't worry about that. And so that pretty much covers up the things from my last visit." I stand up and set the bowl closer to the grave so it won't be in the way of others. "I'll be coming back again. Until then please watch over me Father, Mother." I bow to them in respect then move to the east side of town.