Goodbye Father

-Izuku's Pov-   

-age 4-

Today was a great day! I was with Kaachan and the others when Kaachan suddenly got his quirk. It was explosions, it was really cool! Some of the others got their quirks while we were playing but I'm not paying too much attention to the rest.  

I didn't get my quirk. It makes me sad. I catch mama watching me with sad eyes when she thinks I'm not looking. But I am always looking. 

Looking at mama with her sad eyes. Looking at my best friend, Kaachan, with his strong eyes. Looking at Kaachan's friends with their patronizing eyes. 

I am always looking and seeing. It feels like sometimes it is all I can do. I haven't told mama yet, but I am tired all the time. It has only been happening occassionally so I'm sure it is nothing to worry about. 

I am sitting on the ground watching Kaachan and his friends play. Then Kaachan bounded over to me. "Izu play with us!" He demanded despite the disgusted looks he received from his friends. I smile weakly at my friend. 

"I'm okay watching, Kaachan. Go play!" I say with energy that I don't have. My green eyes reflected tiredly in his spirited red ones. He looked like he might argue with me at first but then relented, running away with the others. 

I could feel my mother's eyes on me. I know she is worried about me. But there really isn't anything to worry about. I see her walking over to me. "Izuku, sweetie. It's time to go or we will be late for your appointment." My mother said. 

Her green eyes studied me carefully. Green hair falling into her face. "Okay mama." She gave me a worried look before taking me by the hand. I waved at Kaachan as we walked out of the park. 

-10 minutes later-

We are in the examination room now. I am sitting on the table, waiting patiently for the doctor to come back in. My mother seems anxious though, sitting in her seat wringing her hands constantly. The doctor walks in with a perplexed look. 

"What is it doctor?!" My mother jumped to her feet with that same anxious energy. It felt exhausting even thinking of being that anxious. Maybe it is just me. I really am tired today. 

"Well ma'am. I don't really understand the test results, to be honest." he answered truthfully. My mother seemed to panic. "What does that mean?!? Does he have a quirk or not??" she screamed. It echoed in my head like we were standing in a canyon rather than a doctor's office. I pushed back a wave of nausea that threatened to overtake me. 

"Ma'am please calm down. I can find no evidence that your son should not have a quirk. On the contrary, it seems he has one. But showing no proof of one. With this information, I must assume that he is quirkless." 

My mother looked at the doctor like he had grown two heads. "That whole explanation is contradictory! How can he have a quirk but not have a quirk?!" Her hands tossed up in the air in frustration. The doctor looked embarrassed. 

"Mrs. Midoriya, I am sorry. But not all tests can be 100% accurate. By all means, he may present with a quirk when he is older. But under the present circumstances, I can only assume he is quirkless." He tried explaining apologetically.