Chapter 3.1 : New Relations I

1st day of classes, 6.30 a.m.

Ayanokouji Kiyotaka

It was the third day of school for the new first graders. Yesterday was a Sunday, thus it was a holiday. So, today is the first day of courses for the first year. In addition, the second and third years will be returning to school after their spring vacation. So it will be a little more frenetic and vibrant than the first day's mood in the school building, which will be operating at full capacity now.

I awoke at 6:30 a.m. It is rather late in comparison to the time I typically get up in the morning. But now that I'm at this institution, rising up earlier in the morning is no longer necessary. I made my bed and performed some moderate workout before making myself some breakfast.

Now, I'm not a very good cook; not during my education nor at the mansion where I spent a year of my life, I was taught how to cook. So the best I can manage is an omelette and some toast. I took a shower and changed into my uniform after I finished preparing and eating breakfast.

I can't get over how excited I feel when I wear these.

So this will be my new "morning ritual," from now on, considering that I never get lazy enough to do it.

I arrived at school a little earlier than usual, simply out of habit. There were a few pupils in the classroom when I arrived. I walked over to my seat and sat down. Horikita hadn't come yet, so her seat was unoccupied. Looking out the window, I noticed the arriving first-year students joking and giggling. Some were in groups, while others were alone. But there was one emotion that everyone shared. the emotion of "hope," the hope of being admitted into this institution, of having a fulfilling high school life, of having assured job, of having a bright future, and so on.

Someone came up to me while I was thinking.

"Yo, Ayanokouji, you sure are an early bird," a familiar voice rang in my ear.

"How are you doing, Sudou?" I inquired, attempting to be casual with him.

"Oh, I am fine. What about you?" He inquired.

"Same here," I said.

I suddenly realised I had no idea what to say after that. According to the rules of conversation, it is important to go back and forth to continue the conversation. Short responses may also cut the discussion short and finally stop it.

Now I was racking my brains for questions to ask him in order to keep this discussion going. But nothing came to mind. At last, I took a gamble and started talking to him about the first day's incident.

"That day at the convenience store was something right, Sudou," I said.

This was my first attempt at striking up a conversation with someone. Previously, Ichinose and Kushida usually began the discussion, however Horikita simply ignored me anytime I tried to talk to her.

"Yeah, you are right. Those seniors were jerks. If you and Ichinose hadn't been there, I would have pounded their asses until they apologised while grovelling their faces in the dirt." Sudou demonstrated his muscles.

He's a true musclehead, isn't he? So, I guess I just have to tell him what Ichinose discovered, or he'll be in big trouble someday.

"I don't think you should've done that, Sudou, even if someone was not there to stop you," I said.

"What exactly are you talking about? I'm not a wuss. Understand that, Ayanokouji," he remarked, slightly annoyed.

What the hell?

One of my phrases was enough to irritate him. His rage issues are more worse than I had anticipated. If I want to have a fruitful talk with him, I need to be serious but approachable.