I'm lost in thought as I start to head back to my office, clearly being of no help on the training grounds today. Trying to distract myself yet again, I dive into some paperwork for a couple hours, but I'm itching to get my hands dirty in some sparring, so I head back out to the training grounds.

Since we have so many warriors, training typically lasts from morning to night to ensure we get all the groups in. All the higher-ranked pack members take shifts so they don't get burnt out. My leading warriors train Monday-Thursday, and Friday-Sunday is reserved for the backup warriors. Ideally, they would never be needed, but in the event of a full-on war, I would have my leading warriors on the battlefield while the backup warriors prevent the central packlands from being infiltrated, while others would guard the bunkers. We have a series of safety bunkers that act more like a maze, so if any enemy makes it past all my warriors, they will get lost before discovering the actual hideouts. It's a little much, but I've seen firsthand what can happen when a pack gets comfortable.

When I reach the training grounds, my gamma Max has taken over for the next shift. I come up to his side and watch the warriors around us sparring. My gamma must know me too well because he immediately offers me a sparring match. We both take a fighting stance, circling each other and waiting for an opening. The warriors around gather to watch when I decide to make the first move and throw a kick that he manages to dodge, and he aims a blow to my face. It goes on like this for a while; he's my gamma for a reason, and the dude has almost managed to beat my ass a couple times. Almost.

Eventually, I pin him, and he yields, tapping the ground 3 times. I help him up and go in for a bro hug. My pack mates start to clap, and I do a mock bow while they laugh at my childishness. Even though my gamma put up a fight, and I should feel satisfied, I'm still restless.

'Want to go for a run?' Adonis asks, hopeful to be released. I happily oblige and shift into his wolf and hit the forest.

~~~~~~~~~

When I get home from my run, I find Seth alone on the couch in the living room.

'Ask him more about his sister,' Adonis urges

I roll my eyes at the stupid wolf, it takes him 26 years to think a girl is pretty, and now he's up my ass about her.

"Where's Gemma tonight?" I ask him

"Out with Violet, Cici, and Serena. Something about karaoke night at Bourbon Street," he says, moving over on the couch to make room for me and handing me the bag of chips he was eating

Ah, that has my sister Violet written all over it. I laugh at the idea of Cici and Serena at karaoke with a bunch of drunk people; they're very soft-spoken and shy. I always wondered how the dynamic between that friendship worked; Violet never shuts up, whereas Gemma is more of a broody tomboy, then there are the two shy ones. They all even each other out, I suppose.

We talk about pack business and nonsense for a little. All the while, Adonis is impatient in my head and annoying the fuck out of me.

"So, tell me about your sister," I say

He turns, giving me a long look.

"Why?" he finally says, his voice laced with suspicion

"Because I just initiated her into my pack, and I like to know my pack members," I say, raising an eyebrow as I try to make it sound like that's the obvious answer. He doesn't look convinced.

"She's a good kid," he starts with a sigh. "She went through it after our parents died, and my moving here didn't help. She was never much of a social butterfly. She had one best friend and me. I was almost relieved when she asked to move here; she's been isolated for a long time. Also, you being a dick about me talking to her didn't help matters," he says with a glare. I glare right back.

"The Allies are one of our biggest enemies and have had their eyes on attacking me for a long time. I had to make sure I could trust you before you talked to everyone and their mother about how awesome packlife is here." I tell him, and he snorts

"Whatever, dude. I'm just saying she and I were always there for each other. Losing contact with one of the only two people she actually enjoyed talking to didn't make her life any easier. She hated being the female Beta, she hated being unable to train, and she hated that she had no voice. You can trust her. If she was a snake, I wouldn't have risked her life or mine by bringing her here." Seth says, and I nod

"Fine. It sounds like it was better in the long run for both of you anyways for her to be here."

"No shit," he says

I let the conversation end there as we silently watch the football game. Once it's over, we both get up and head to our rooms. I exit the elevator and stop at her door, Adonis coming forward with me. Fuck, I can smell her from here. Why does she smell so damn good? Like jasmine and coconut, two of my favorite smells. I roll my eyes at myself as I head to my room; this girl is going to be trouble, I can already tell.