Chapter 2: New World, Warm Welcome

Zacznij od początku

"Donde--where... where is here?" Angélio asked, stammering.

"This realm is known as Realania," was the reply.

"Oh." Angélio examined the bracelet on his arm.

"It's made with fibres from the sunset agave," the creature said. "It helps humans control the powers they acquire in this realm; they always seem to be different in some way." He paused for a moment. "Well, you probably want to return to your home--if you follow me--oh. That's right." He turned to face Angélio. "You were crying when I found you--would you mind telling me why?"

Angélio was about to speak, but then he held back. Papi said I shouldn't talk to strangers, he thought. That probably is still true here... in Realania. But he did help me, though...

"If you tell me about what made you sad, I might be able to help," it said.

Angélio knit his brow together. "How could you help me with that, Señor... uh?" He wanted to add the creature's name but realized he didn't know it. "May I have your name--por favor (please)?"

"Certainly," the creature smiled handsomely. "My name is Roende. There's no need to add Señor. And what's yours?"

Angélio gave his name and said, "If you don't mind me asking, what kind of being are you?"

Roende chuckled. "I don't mind at all. I'm a Maraluje, specifically a Maralujo since I am what humans would call a male."

Angélio scratched his head. "Then, does that mean female Maralujes are called Maralujas?"

"Clever boy," Roende smiled. "Yes, that is what they're called. Now to answer your earlier question, I can help you with Yutsil--or magia (magic) as you might say."

"Magia?" Angélio repeated the word, not quite sure what to make of it.

"Yes," Roende nodded. "But I need to know what your problem is, so I can determine how magia can fix that problem."

Angélio looked at the ground. I don't think he can really help me, but I guess it couldn't hurt to tell him, he thought before closing his eyes. Then he took a deep breath and told Roende about his papá forgetting his birthday and wanting to get on the fútbol team so he could spend more time with his dad.

It felt good to just get things off his chest.

"I see." Roende stroked his chin and sat on the grass across from Angélio. "I'm sorry that happened to you. Such things would make anyone sad. But that is a difficult problem you have."

Angélio's shoulders drooped. "I knew you wouldn't be able to help." He was about to stand up and walk away, feeling his eyes starting to burn again.

"I didn't say that," Roende corrected him. "Difficult doesn't mean impossible."

"Really?" Angélio said with an air of hope in his voice.

Roende nodded. "Yes. Though it will be difficult to obtain, I know of magia that will help you get what you want. However, we will need to work together to achieve our goal. Are you willing to do that?" He held out his hand.

Smiling, Angélio shook his new friend's hand. "Yes. I am." He wiped a tear away.

"Perfect," Roende beamed. "Now, you shouldn't cry; it's not appropriate for boys."

"Oh. I didn't know that," Angélio's said, feeling like he had just gotten hit in the gut by a soccer ball. Something about what Roende had just said seemed off to him, but he didn't want to do anything that might upset his new friend. So, he tried to ignore the pit forming in his stomach.

"I know just the thing that will eliminate those tears," Roende said. "Do you want to guess what that is?"

"Tissue?" Angélio shrugged.

"Something better: a grand birthday party for my new amigo," Roende flashed his charming smile.

Angélio could've jumped over the moon. Was this really happening? That sounded like the kind of birthday party that only lived in his dreams but now it was coming true! And on top of that, he would get on the fútbol team and his papi would spend more time with him. It was everything he wanted!

If this were a dream, I wouldn't want to wake up! Angélio thought.

Roende tapped his left wrist and in a burst of shimmering green specks, a device appeared on the spot he had touched. It looked like a watch with a woven red and green band. Except, where the watch face should be, there was a little glass dome with a small sun under it.

Around the burning ball of light were three stone rings; the largest one was the furthest from the little sun. Within each ring were strange but beautifully etched symbols. No two were alike. Are those numbers or something else? Angélio wondered. Maybe it's both. The rings flipped over the small sun at different speeds, reminding him of the diagram of a neutron he'd drawn in his notebook. Roende examined the object with a careful eye.

"What is that?" Angélio asked, no longer able to contain his curiosity.

"Follow me." Roende tapped the top of the little dome and the device vanished. "We must make the most of our time."

♧♧♧