Chapter 1: A Tree That Ripples Like Waves

Birthdays and surprises go together like beans and tortillas. Angélio Moya's thirteenth birthday began in a very unsurprising way. But it didn't end like that--proving two things: it's not how you start but how you finish, and old trees keep the most magical secrets.

Angélio ran to the window as his father walked out of the house. As usual, Diego Moya had a briefcase in one hand, a travel mug in the other, and a cell phone pressed against his ear.

The boy waved to his papá before Mr. Moya got into his car, but Diego didn't wave back. He was too busy checking his watch to notice his son. Soon, the black Mazda disappeared down the street. Angélio sighed deeply and turned away from the window.

Something curious happened then. A Swallowtail Cattleheart butterfly appeared on his window. The beautiful insect flapped its black wings, and a thousand specks glowed all over it. Two seconds later, the creature had faded from sight. Angélio missed the whole thing.

It's pretty late, the newly-minted thirteen-year-old thought, walking towards his desk. Papi needs to get to work early. That makes his boss happy.

Angélio pulled out the squeaky rolling chair and sat down. He pushed the button on his lamp and remembered he'd forgotten to greet his mom. Reaching over, he picked up a picture of his late mother, Ángela, from his bedside table and kissed it.

"Buenos días, Mamá," he said, admiring her smiling face.

The beautiful Afro-Latina's candle had gone out far too soon. And although many years had passed since she'd left them, Angélio still wished he could hug her like he used to.

Especially today.

Angélio opened his blue notebook and flipped through pages that had notes about extra credit assignments, books he wanted to read, and sketches showing cool contraptions he hoped to build someday. Finally, he landed on the page called The Hanging out with Papá Plan. It listed the following things:

Get on the honour roll (done)

Get a piano solo for the recital (done)

Get on the school fútbol team (in progress)

Angélio sank back in his chair and sighed. None of those things have worked so far, he thought. Papá didn't come to the award ceremony last year because he had to work late. And his business trip made him miss my recital. I guess making the fútbol team is my best bet for spending time with him... if I can pull that off.

After jotting down a few notes about researching fútbol, Angélio had a shower, got dressed, and went downstairs for breakfast. He was about to get cereal and a banana when Conchita, one of the ladies who helped with the housekeeping and cooking, walked into the kitchen.

"Buenos días, Angelito," Conchita beamed.

"Good morning, Conchita," Angélio smiled back.

"And feliz cumpleaños (happy birthday)," she whispered before looking around. "Your papi left us a big list of things to pick up from the supermercado (supermarket)," the kindly woman said with a knowing look on her face. "It's probably going to take us all afternoon to get everything prepared. So, if I were a certain hombrecito (little man), I would spend most of the day in my bedroom to avoid seeing something before it was ready," she winked.

"Okay." Angélio's smile went from ear to ear. ¡Genial! (Awesome!) I knew he'd remember, he thought, trying to contain the electric excitement making his body tingle.

"And don't worry, I'll bring your almuerzo (lunch) up, okay?" Conchita kissed his forehead.

"Muchas gracias," he replied and happily ate the rest of his breakfast.