ten

Art credits levinky_art on Twitter.

The whole area was engulfed in grey smoke. The smoke carrying the smell of the debris resulted from the damaged building, and the sickening smell of blood. Aki struggled to breathe, his lungs shaking with each inhalation, as he only stared ahead, waiting for the smoke to clear so he could see his teammates. A small part of him wished it would just thicken and fill his lungs until he couldn't take another breath, so he wouldn't be able to worry about a thing anymore.

The pace of his heartbeat slowed, heavy as a boulder in his chest when he noticed the smoke uncovering larger areas of the floor, getting thinner to give his eyes an opportunity to see the sight he feared the most.

Denji, Himeno, and Power were nowhere to be found on the battlefield. The latter vanished without a trace, most likely as a result of her escape from battle.

Denji left some of his blood behind.

Himeno left her clothes behind, as did the lone ghost hand looking for its main body.

"Don't die on me, Aki. So that when I die.. you can cry for me."

He lowered his head, looking back at his reflection in the puddle of his blood as he remembered the words that burnt his lungs worse than any cigarette.

Denji and Power had gone missing.

Kaito hadn't been seen since the fight began.

Himeno has died.

His arms started shaking under him, as if his bones had been replaced by twigs. Aki found himself wishing he could feel the stinging pain from his bleeding wounds, so the pain could distract him from the numbing feeling washing over his entire being, so the pain could distract him from his heart feeling claustrophobic and shaking his ribcage at every beat.

Sawatari turned away from the distraught Devil Hunter, focusing on her nails that have decreased in number, oblivious to the fact that their target had vanished. "You Hybrids are immortal. Get him before he revives." She ordered the Katana Hybrid, who obliged despite the excruciating pain in his body. He took slow, heavy limping steps towards Denji's body, which he remembered being there.

Sawatari raised a brow when he suddenly came to a stop. "What are you doing? Hurry and get him."

"He.. escaped too." The hybrid's voice croaked lowly, sending a surge of blazing heat through his blonde companion's veins as her angry eyes widened slowly.

"Did he now?" Katana felt his heart turn to stone for a split second when he heard a growling voice from behind him, his heartbeat returning to normal when his arm blocked the chainsaws that threatened to sever his body in half. His blood ran ice cold, and his lungs shook with each breath as he realized who his opponent was.

It wasn't a Hybrid.

"Sawatari speaking! We've engaged the Chainsaw Devil on the third floor of the Nerima Nishidai building!" The sounds of metal scratching metal rang in her ears as she yelled into her walkie talkie. "Send reinforcements, immediately!"

Katana was left with nothing but his devilish instincts to fight back, blocking the Chainsaw Devil's chainsaws at the last second. He attempted a thrust counterattack. His blade whizzed across the area where the Chainsaw Devil's head had been only a split second before. He panted, turning his head frantically in search of his opponent.

"Behind you."

What am I doing?

His attack was blocked by a set of swords. "Katana! Don't damage the heart!" He heard a woman scream.