seven

Quick warning: things are going to start being weird which could be triggering to some people. it is your typical chainsaw man stuff with the dark shit, but read at your own risk.

"So.." He trailed off awkwardly, staring at Makima as she silently popped a strawberry-flavored Chupa Chups into her mouth, tucking her hands behind her back once the sweet candy had settled on her tongue. "Are you going to tell me why you called me out here or what?"

Everyone had already gone home, sleeping off their drunkenness, while Kai remained with Makima, standing outside as the city grew darker and quieter as people went to sleep. Despite his mutual desire to sleep, he was also eager to return to his ridiculously drunk roommate, fearful she'd burn the place down or do something stupid without his supervision. But he couldn't say no to Makima's request to talk.

"You're an interesting individual." After a brief period of silence, her flat, pleasant voice spoke to Kai. "W-What makes you say that?" He cringed internally as he stuttered, embarrassed that he found her voice so hypnotic.

She hummed, pretending to think as she swirled the lollipop in her mouth with her tongue, savoring the flavor of it. "It's not just because you're the only person your devil has ever contracted with; it's also because your devil lives within you without transforming you into a hybrid or a fiend." She looked up at him through her thick lashes, her ringed eyes working as a magnet to attract all of his attention. "Why is that?"

"Huh, if I recall correctly, hybrids are humans who're fused with devils, like Denji, right?" He answered to her a question with a question of his own, folding his arms as he pondered. "I actually never knew they were real until I saw Denji transforming into a devil, so I never really thought about why I'm not a hybrid myself."

"As for the fiend part.. erm.. devils take over corpses so they turn into fiends, don't they? Maybe it's because I wasn't a corpse when we contracted? I'm not too sure. If you'd like, I could make Imi meet you so she could-"

"I'm asking you, though." Her icy voice cut him off, tightening his grip on his upper arm as he took a cold breath. "Oh.." As he avoided Makima's gaze, anxiety building within him as his fingers found the edge of his mouth, twiddling with the piercing. "W-Well, uhm.. I'm not sure I know myself." He scratched his cheek. "Sorry, I'll make sure to ask her for you."

"Thank you, I appreciate your effort." He felt his heart skipping a beat when she gave him a small soft smile, completely extinguishing all negative thoughts he had on her. "I'm going back home, you should go too." She said her parting words as she left him stranded in the cool, lonesome night.

"Is she your type?" Kai flushed, ruffling his hair as he couldn't physically reach for Imi. "N-No! I just.. Think her voice is pretty?" He heard her humming, dragging it just to mess with him. "Just her voice?" She teased, making his face redden further as he walked towards his apartment complex. "Quit it, Imi." He heard her chuckles echoing in the walls of his head.

If he were a bit more honest with Makima, he would've told her how he didn't even remember the reason he contracted with Imi. He was fourteen when he met her through his old job. Initially, he saw her as just another client, a woman who paid for his body. But as her visits became more frequent, his cold heart began to warm for her, his heart finally finding someone to beat for. She was careful, gentle, and loving. Unlike his other clients, who simply left him in the morning after doing what he was paid for and returned to him the next night to continue the perilous cycle they had created in his life, Imi stayed for him, not his body. Imi was the first person to ever talk to him for reasons other than sex. She was the first person to stay with him even in the morning after doing the deed, she stayed, and listened to the words he kept trapped in his heart. He loathed his job so much. He knew it was wrong for him to be doing all of those things with women much older than him at such a young age. But he didn't have a choice; he had to do everything against his will. But he couldn't help but be grateful because it was through it that he met Imi.