nine

Art credits levinky_art on Twitter, another long chapter ahead!

Tanizaki Nozomi was the first person to ever show Kaito paradise.

Throughout his ten years of living, he had never interacted with another human soul. He couldn't recall ever having a mother who had stood by him as he took his first steps. It was always him and the city mice he met in Tokyo's alleyways, not a father who taught him the ways of a gentleman. He never learned his native tongue. He had never had the opportunity to socialize with anyone of the same race until Nozomi completely changed his life.

It was on a cold winter night where Nozomi had parted her ways with a friend, blowing on the smoking sweet potato she purchased from a random vendor. She passed by many shops and places that did not make her pause for a second, except for a certain alleyway that had grasped her attention. In a random alleyway of Tokyo, there she saw a young boy shivering under his makeshift blanket. She was able to make out the "blanket's" shimmer and plastic marerial by focusing hard enough, proving that he was keeping himself warm with a trash bag.

She crept closer, careful not to wake the boy, and came to a halt when she noticed the half-eaten rotting sandwich being swarmed by bugs. She continued to inspect the homeless boy, oblivious to the fact that her sweet potato was getting colder.

He twitched, his eyes opening slowly as the fragrance of the sweet potato entered his nose along with the polluted air of Tokyo. He rubbed his eyes, getting rid of the dirt in order to see the source of smell properly. His gaze was finally drawn to the woman crouching in front of him, a soft smile on her face and her hands outstretched to share her sweet potato.

"Have this. It definitely tastes better than that sandwich."

After that night, they both had set a little routine with her visting the alleyway he stayed in with a new kind of food to share. She introduced his tastebuds to many delicacies, both sweet and savory, cold and warm. It went on until she proposed that he moves in with her in her own apartment. For a time, they coexisted peacefully. Despite the fact that she spent the majority of her nights out to work, Nozomi provided him with basic knowledge at home. She taught him how to read, write, and do basic math.

Nozomi told Kaito that she was taking the day off and suggested a movie night. She let him choose the movie that piqued his interest the most, playing it on her small TV and moving to sit next to him. "You know, Kaito, you only ever told me your first name. We've been living with eachother for so long and I don't even know your surname." Nozomi said as she wrapped her blanket around their bodies and shifted around until she was sitting comfortably next to the younger boy. "It's because I don't know it myself." She took her gaze away from the movie and looked at Kaito to see whether he was joking with a smile or not.

She only saw the reflection of the movie playing in his eyes, not any mischief on his face.

"You don't know it? How come?" She asked, finding the boy's story more intriguing than the movie that was playing. He looked down to his hands, twiddling with his thumbs. "I've never had a home, nor any parents, so.. I'm not sure what my family name is."

"How do you know your name then?"

"I gave it to myself. I got it from a vocaloid." She only hummed, sipping on her beer as her mind wandered.

"Then.. would you like to have mine?" He jolted at her idea, his head turning towards her to see her smiling brightly. "Have your.. name?" She nodded, quickening the pounding of his heart as the tears brimming his eyes blurred his vision.