Chapter 19

TW: mention of death

"Soldier?" I'm running around the fort, not sure where I'm going, but knowing who I'm looking for, it shouldn't be that hard. "Soldier, where are you?" I have a feeling that Soldier can help me figure out how to get home, but I gotta find him first. The base is so big, and it feels like I've been running in circles. How does any one who run through these halls figure out where they're going?

After a significant amount of time has passed, I end up slowing down, and I start walking back. I look around at the walls, they all look the same. I try to figure out where I came from, but nothing seems familiar anymore.

"Huh... well shit." Yep. I'm lost. I sigh and grumble at myself. I'm such an idiot. I'm sure at sone point of of the mercs warned me about doing something like this. Well, whatever. They'll probably be looking for me soon anyways, once they notice I'm not around...

I place one of my hands on the wall and trace in between the pale red bricks as I walk. I heard when I was young that if you're ever lost, or in a maze, you always walk on one side of the wall to get back to wherever you were before. I try to stay calm as I feel for my exit out of the labyrinth that is the red base.

Eventually, I end up somewhere even more unfamiliar, walls I had never seen before. I look up, and there's a big arrow on the wall, pointing further down the hall. My unease sets in again, and I look back where I was before. I'm already so lost, and this seems to be a significant change. There's no where else to turn.

"S...soldier..." I walk through the hall ways, calling out the person I'm looking for. "Is anybody around?" The walls become a pale grey as I walk deeper into the corridor. As I turn corners, there's not much else to look at other than locked doors. Something about this part of the base seems different, like I'm not supposed to be here. I stop in my tracks and turn around.

"Alright! This is way too much, I want to go back now." I start walking back, then relize I hadn't been tracing the wall since I started walking through this part of the building.

"Shit which side was it again?" I pout as I turn back around and try to retrace my steps. Every turn looks like the last, I can't place where I came from anymore.

Are they trying to look for me yet? Have they even noticed?

"Sniper?! Engi?" I yell. "Heavy!" Another thing I learned when you get lost is to stay put until someone finds you.

"M...Medic!" I yell for help as loud as I can. "Medic!"

Suddenly, a loud alarm sounds, and it assaults my eardrums. It scares me, but then I remember it's for emergencies. I panic, thinking something must be wrong, and I quickly get back to running around the corridors, hoping I'll run into anyone who can lead me back.

"Medic!" I shout, moreso for someone to hear me in distress, rather than to find the actual Medic. The halls didn't change, but my confidence was waining. It had been like an hour and I still hadn't found an exit to these damn halls. I start jiggling doorknobs. Maybe if one of these rooms opened up, I could find like a telephone or a map.

"Medic!" Doing all of these things while the alarm was still blaring, I had almost lost hope. "Medic!" I turn a corner and reach for the next door handle when...

"Med-oof!" I bump into a big meaty chest, and I bounce off of it and stumble back.

"Gah!" A voice of panic from above. I look up and see his face.

"Medic!" I smile when I see him. "Medic, thank God! Please, help me, I don't know where I am." I wipe my face, and realize my eyes had been watering. I wipe away the tears and look up at the Medic with a smile.