Chapter Nine

The booming voice of my brother wakes me up alongside the tight grip of his hands which clutch my shoulders and shake me awake. "Charlotte? Charlotte! Wake up dude! You slept until noon. We're about to go down to the beach," he pauses, frustrated but continues to shake me profusely. "Also you missed breakfast, but that doesn't matter, you need to get up. Jason is bringing his boat and he says that we could go with him to bring it to the beach. Isn't that exciting?"

"Uhh Roman I am so tired," I moan into my pillow. "Give me five more minutes?"

"No! We gotta go now otherwise Jason is going to leave without us."

I open my eyes and let go of a breath before pushing my brother off of me. Pain shoots up my chest and I bite back a scream. "Fine, fine, fine. I'll get up only if you grab me the pink bottle of my painkillers which are in the car. Deal?"

"Deal," my brother says and rushes out of the tent to find my pain medication. When he comes back, I dry swallow a pill and the pain in my back instantly fades away.

Hastily, I change into the blue bikini top I bought with Rachel at the mall and throw on some black flowy shorts which I packed last minute. When I exit the tent to find the entirety of Ruck n' Rumble, staring back at me. My eyes do a sweep of the crowd. Everyone is there, except Nathan. Of course.

"Good morning," the group says in unison, smiling.

This is weird.

What is going on?

"We let you sleep until noon but we'd really really really want to go down to the beach now," Charlie says.

"Yeah!" Eric agrees with his brother. "We are going to go on the boat, isn't that going to be a lot of fun Charlotte?"

"I am so sorry guys, I am just more tired than usual but, yes of course we will go to the beach now. I am so ready for some beach fun right now!" I fake a smile at the group.

My father pulls me aside as everyone begins to get themselves organized. "Jason is going to drive you down since I think the hike might be a bit strenuous for you and I want to make sure you'll be alright."

"Dad, please," I shake my head. "I am perfectly capable of walking down a hill. Plus I am going tubing this afternoon and that is going to be way more strenuous."

"You're right honey," my father quickly apologizes. "I just want to make sure you don't stress yourself out too much on the first trip, alright?"

"But-"

"Jason will take you this time and then when we go back to the beach next you can try walking," my father interrupts me. "Yeah?"

"Yeah, sorry, I get it. Thanks for looking out for me dad."

He's considering what is best for you, Charlotte. Don't take it personally.

"You're welcome, sweetheart."

My brother and I stroll over to Jason's campsite after I quickly demolish an apple and a couple of strips of bacon. Jason is in the mists of attaching his boat to his truck so Roman and I take a seat at the picnic table. I pull out the deck of cards I placed in my back pocket after I snatched them from our picnic table.

"Rummy or go fish?" I ask my brother and I start to shuffle the cards.

"Go fish, seriously? What am I, a child?" My brother smirks. "Rummy. Seven cards. And don't think about letting me win out of pity."

I chuckle at my brother's playfulness and deal seven cards each. My hand is unbelievable and I manage to win with the first two cards Roman discards. I continue to play with my brother, and I continue to win, until Jason announces that he is ready to go. We pile into the back of the truck alongside Sammy; the Olson's dog, who is the happiest one about being in the car. She sticks her head out the window as soon as we reach the long stretch of road ahead of us.

Remember MeOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara