"Well, someone killed our mothers, so we shouldn't exist," Viktor replied. "But clearly, we do exist, and the universe can't handle it, which is a problem."

"Double points for Viktor!" Eddie celebrated from where she fenced with Stanley, using the snooker sticks as faux swords.

"Big problem," Five agreed.

"Eddie! Stanley!" Diego scolded, and they both stopped, turning to face him. "Will you stop teaching my son how to kill you?"

"Mom said I need to practise," he shot back, a pout on his features.

"Yeah!" Eddie added. "This kid is ability-less. How is he gonna fight a grandfather paradox? And anyway, what's wrong with a little auntie and nephew bonding time? I'll have you know I'm an amazing aunt, right Allison?"

Her gaze suddenly hardened even more, and she glared, taking a sip of her drink and turning away.

Eddie's smile faltered, and she shifted on her feet. "Oh. At least I thought I was," she finished, moving to place her stick back on the pool table. "Sorry, Diego."

His gaze softened slightly, and he shot a look in Allison's direction. "Don't worry about it, Eddie," he replied, voice softer.

"Okay, hold on," Allison turned back to face them. "Five, so we caused a paradox. What does that mean?"

Eddie shifted, furrowing her eyebrows at Allison's ignorance of her.

"It's hard to say," he replied. "It's all been theoretical until now, but things have started to disappear."

"What things?" Viktor asked.

"Right now?"

"Lobsters!" Eddie shouted.

"And a shit ton of cows!" Klaus added at the same volume.

Five sighed before finishing, "But I have a feeling this is just the beginning."

"A feeling?" Allison repeated. "Aren't you retired?"

"I want nothing more."

Allison rose to her feet, glare hardening again. "You know, you can't drag us through hell because you have an itch only an apocalypse can scratch and then expect us to deal with the fallout!" Five rose to his feet at her words, a glare also forming on his face. "You're not the boss."

"Fine," he shot back. "I'm the messenger, and I'm telling you something terrible is coming."

Allison smiled, but it was full of mockery, and her tone became condescending. "Then let's go attack the Sparrows, get the briefcase, and go home."

Five ignored it, but his tone was still sharp. "This is our home, Allison. Accept it."

Eddie nearly jumped out of her skin from her fatigue, the tension, and Stanley knocking down a load of boxes.

"That's it!" Diego snapped. "I'm telling your mom."

"Wait," Five turned from Allison. "Where's Lila?"

Stanley shifted. "Shower. I told her she could stay with us."

"Wait," Viktor furrowed his eyebrows. "When did Lila get back?"

"Five, where you going?" Diego called after him as he began to walk away.

"Go talk to somebody who only has half her head up her ass."

"Do I have my head up my ass?" Eddie asked, touching her face self-consciously.

"That depends on the moment," Diego replied.

"Oh, that's good then." She sighed, massaging her head before going to move away. "I'm going to get a drink."

Eddie shook her head as she moved, trying to push away the fogginess. She really wanted to sleep, but she knew the grandfather paradox was deadly. Knowing that she had to hold on until that was sorted created another wave of fatigue to wash over her, and she had to grab a chair to keep herself standing. She blew a breath, placing a hand on her forehead and wiping away the sweat that had gathered there.

'Hold on' was such a funny phrase because that was exactly what she was doing. Except she was clinging to a mountain with a sheer drop beneath her into clouds so thick, she didn't know what was underneath. Everyone else was at the top, dancing and smiling while her gip was weakening. The fear of falling kept her attention sharp, but the ache of her bones told her to just let go and find out what awaited her.

Maybe she wasn't scared of what she would find beneath but, rather, what she would miss at the top. Or the fact that part of her was so... part of her wanted to fall, to soothe her muscles - to take the pain away.

She knew she couldn't do that, and that knowledge nearly took her feet from under her.

She was just so tired.

"Eddie?"

She looked away from the table, and her gaze brightened. "Luther!" Pushing off the chair, she approached him hurriedly. "Are you okay? The others said you were gone, but they didn't know where."

Luther tried to hide the smile at the idea that they had acknowledged his absence. "Oh, I was, uh, the Sparrows-"

"-Did they hurt you?" Eddie's face suddenly became serious, and Luther instantly shook his head.

"God, no. Not at all. Excellent hosts. Really quite charming, actually. Oh, and you should see their gym. Outstanding! I really think we got these guys all wrong."

"Really?" she replied, shifting. "It sounds like you're in love."

Luther stared at her for a moment before cracking into a grin. "How did you know?"

Eddie furrowed her eyebrows. "What?"