𝐈𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐥𝐮𝐝𝐞 𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐈: 𝐀𝐜𝐭 𝐈 - 𝐓𝐨 𝐊𝐧𝐨𝐰 𝐚 𝐋𝐢𝐚𝐫 𝐈𝐬 𝐭𝐨 𝐁𝐞 𝐚 𝐋𝐢𝐚𝐫

𝐓𝐨 𝐊𝐧𝐨𝐰 𝐚 𝐋𝐢𝐚𝐫 𝐈𝐬 𝐭𝐨 𝐁𝐞 𝐚 𝐋𝐢𝐚𝐫

𝐖𝐨𝐫𝐝 𝐂𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐭: 𝟑,𝟒𝟔𝟎
𝐒𝐭𝐚𝐭𝐮𝐬: 𝐄𝐝𝐢𝐭𝐞𝐝 𝐚𝐬 𝐨𝐟 𝟓/𝟏𝟑/𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟒

╭⋟────────────────────────╮
✦✧✦✧
╰────────────────────────⋞╯

What purpose is there in life?
For what reason do we walk this earth?
Is there truly meaning in living only to suffer and experience pain?
Why must we be forced to endure it all and be expected to continue carrying on?

     These were questions Osamu Dazai asked himself often. To mull over the meaning of life... Dazai was not exactly a philosophical person, but he very much disliked pain—the pain experienced in life, his life. He didn't exactly see the point of continuing on anymore, yet here he was, still alive and breathing—and working for the Port Mafia, no less.

     But when it came down to, he was still only a fourteen year old boy. A fourteen year old boy with a twisted view on the world. Perhaps having a distorted mindset was an ability user thing. No one with an ability seemed to be right in the head, after all.

     It was this inner turmoil that had sparked Ougai Mori's interest. Being the sole witness to his murdering of the previous Port Mafia boss, he was naturally under Mori's careful watch. This observing allowed Mori to see that the boy was indeed brilliant—genius, even. His underhanded way of going about things especially reminded Mori of himself. The fact was, Dazai would one day either become the Port Mafia's greatest ally, or its greatest enemy. Mori, of course, hoped for the former, but could not exclude taking into account the latter outcome. Thus, each and every action he took towards trying to achieve that result was precisely calculated.

     Dazai questioned his own will to live, so naturally, Mori would take advantage of that. Genius or not, he was still young and impressionable, and with such a fragile state of mind, manipulating the boy without him even noticing was as easy as snapping his fingers.

     Mori had only recently usurped the position of new head of the Port Mafia; things were just beginning. And with a majority of his own organization not trusting him, this was the perfect time for Mori to condition Dazai—who stayed with him at the neutral clinic he ran—the way he wanted to. Not only would the boy be under his control, but he would also play a key role in helping Mori to regain power as quickly as possible. It was a situation that would reap many benefits. As for how he would make Dazai his pawn, well, he was a master manipulator, and as such, was also an excellent actor. The way Mori saw it, this was merely the start of a new play, and not only did he play one of the leading roles, he was also the playwright.

*✧・゚: *✧・゚:*✧・゚: *✧・゚:*✧・゚: *✧・゚:

"Thanks a bunch for your help, [Name], I really don't know what I'd do without you," a man in his mid-twenties bowed to a young girl who had just fixed up his entire storefront. He owned a small restaurant that just so happened to be in an older, more rundown, building that was in constant need of repair. Unfortunately, the wooden sign that hung above the front awning had begun to split, and it ended up falling off and breaking, pulling the awning down with it. "To think that all this time you've done so much for me and have proven way more capable than I am... I guess I really am incompetent," he sighed out, steel grey eyes shining with disappointment.