"Good morning sweetie. Rough night?" Ralph asked with a soft smile, his eyes filled with concern. I just sighed knowing that there's no point in lying. Also, my face probably shows how tired I am.

"Is it so obvious?" I scrunched my nose after sniffing again. I pressed my temples slightly, feeling a mild headache forming. This is the only thing I hate about this weather. Sam extended her hand, giving me a cup of almond milk. I mumbled a quiet 'thanks'.

"You're pale and the bags under your eyes say a lot." Sam said while organizing the cupcakes. I took a sip of the milk and plopped myself on a seat. I feel tired and the cold weather isn't helping either. I chuckled when I saw Ralph swatting Sam's hand when she tried to steal a cupcake.

"Keep your hands to yourself, young lady. And Neve, you know you don't have to push yourself to work." He said as he gives me one of his warm smiles. That alone made me feel a little bit better. I shook my head and finished my almond milk.

"You know I love working here and I'm really fine, just a bit tired." I stood up and stretched my body like a cat.

"Fine but you can rest in the library if you want." Ralph said and walked towards his tiny office, cursing when he accidentally stabbed his foot against the door. Sam and I giggled while watching him hit the door with his walking stick. I made my way towards the changing room with Sam trailing behind me, mumbling about the dinner she was talking about for the past three days.

"Oh, come on, Neve. Please, I'm begging you. Join us, you know grandpa will be very happy if you go. Pleeeaase Neve..." Sam begged as I opened the metal door, pulling out my apron. I looked back at her and rolled my eyes while laughing when I saw her both hands clasped together under her chin, her lips pulled in a pout.

"You know I'm not comfortable with a lot of people and besides, didn't you say that it's a dinner between your family?" I reasoned out to Sam while tying my hair into a low ponytail. I don't really interact with people, it's making me uncomfortable. It feels like they're all staring at me and I'm not even related to them.

"Family and close friends. And you're already a family to us, come on Neve. I need you to keep me sane that night. You know my cousins, they're freaking annoying, and they drive me crazy." She said, clutching my arm and dragging me out of the room. I gently pulled my arm away from her, her arms slumping on her sides.

"I'll think about it." I said walking towards the door and turning on the switch, the words Café de la Lune lit up. I smiled when the lights started to twinkle around the letters. It translates to Moon Café and I think that's what drawn me the first time I saw this café.

"You've been thinking for three days! You keep saying that Neve. I really want you there." One thing I've learned about Sam for the past two years is that she's really determined, if she wants something, she'll make sure that she gets it. Well, there's always a first time.

I chuckled softly when she pouted at me, her eyes wide. I smiled while shaking my head at her attempt because as much as I love her, I already know her tricks. She uses those tricks against Ralph every time she wants something, and it works every single time.

"Nice try but no." She rolled her eyes and crossed her arms. She'll get over it. It's not in my nature to meet a lot of people. It will always be the same. Either they destroy me, or I destroy me. Why make other people suffer including yourself when you can prevent it?

Walking towards the coffee machine, I started preparing the coffee beans. My nose automatically scrunched when the strong smell of coffee hit my senses. It's funny to think how I work in a café when I don't even drink coffee. I rolled up my sleeves and put some coffee on the filter.

Customers started to come inside, some just ordering take outs while others stay in the mini-library. Seeing how others still visit the library brought a smile to my face. Thirty minutes before lunch break, I started to feel a throbbing pain in my temples. I sniffed and wrapped the cardigan tighter to myself.

Looking outside the window, I squinted my eyes when I saw a familiar Ferrari black car parked across the café. It's probably the fifth time I saw it parking just across from here. The windows are heavily tinted so I can't see a thing. What's weird is that I haven't seen the owner step out or roll up his windows even once.

I'm feeling paranoid these past few days and that car is adding to my anxiety. I feel like I'm being watch. I might be just thinking too much but I just can't help but feel like someone is always watching and following me. And what's weirder is that even though I have this sinking feeling, I can feel tingles and warmth every now and then.

Shaking my head, I let out a chuckle because of my silly thoughts. I'm just tired and sleepy and the headache isn't helping. I keep on sniffing and rubbing my temples, hoping that it will ease the pain. I scanned the café, trying to find Sam or Kira, the other waitress here. She's two years older than us and doesn't talk that much but it's perfectly fine.

"Hey, do you want to eat outside?" Sam asked while walking towards the register area. Her right hand on her hips while the other is on the counter. She smiles brightly and I instantly wondered how she can be so energetic all the time. I sniffed and shook my head, clutching my forehead.

"I'll just spend my lunch break sleeping there. But thanks." I said pointing at the library. Most of the time when I don't feel so good, I spend my time at the furthest area in the library, either sleeping or reading. They always understand me when I turn down their offers. Sam straightened up and nodded, her eyes worried.

"Do you want anything? We're going to eat at Marvel's." She asked while tugging her apron, her hand going inside her pocket. I smiled when she pulled out two hot packs. She grabbed my hands and put the packs on them, the warmth spreading.

"No thanks. My stomach isn't in the mood right now but thank you again." I said sincerely, her eyes softening. I let the hot pack touch my nose for a second. I think my nose is freezing.

"You say thanks a lot." She said annoyed, I know she doesn't want to hear me thank her. Just three months ago, she told me that she doesn't want to hear me thanking her because apparently, I've thanked her so many times that it would last for the next ten years. Her words, not mine.

"Yeah, yeah. Have a great lunch." I said while standing up. I saw her roll her eyes before walking outside. I pulled my apron and started walking towards the mini-library. Great, only three people are present. Pulling my cardigan tighter around my body, I plop down on the farthest seat.

Resting my cheek against my arms, I let sleep take over me, completely unaware of a pair of eyes watching me.