New Bremen I

New Bremen 

2541

UNSC Through the Fire 

Corporal Mikah Risch ‘Rischy’

“Alright boys listen up!”- The ears of 31 men perked up to the words of their Leader: Lieutenant Pascal Dubois. -”We got our new mission. After days of waiting we got a simple one. Drop in blow up two covenant AA guns recon has identified them as T-38 ‘Tyrants’ they’re positioned in the northern park and next to Karsten Steel Works Northern industrial district."

"The park and Industrial district are connected via subway line.” He pointed out the entry points on the holographic map of New Bremen. “We're gonna hit both Tyrants at the same time. The subway line serves as our way back to friendly lines. It is imperative that both Tyrants get destroyed otherwise nothing leaves this city the airway. Including us.” 

Silence the platoon of freshly made ODSTs was silent until one man broke the silence: Sergeant Alec Abadie. Leader of the Specialized Squad.

“Sir. How will the platoon be split up?”

“First and Specialized are the strike teams. First designation Striker. Specialized designated Reaper. Third and Fourth are in reserve. But I'm gonna need one of your Demomen. You'll get a SAW from Third to make Specialized full count.”

“Everdeen, you're with Striker.” Reapers leader ordered one of his two Demomen.

“Yes sir!”

“Good. Everyone gear up drop is in 7!” LT Dubois ordered the platoon dispersed immediately grabbing last minute equipment stims and rations.

Two Helljumpers stood at the side line, both helmetless, a man and a woman. The man had countless scratches on his helmet: kill tallies. 

The woman had a red and white stripe on both shoulders as well as a red one over her helmet. Identifying her as a medic to the rest of the platoon. 

“Vicky. Keep to cover and no unnecessary heroics. Okay?” the man said 

“Do I get you so worried? I'm the medic in reserve. You're on the strike team. I should be the one worried.” 

“You aren't worried about your dear brother in arms? Bad woman.” They both shared a chuckle 

“It's time isn't it?” Vicky the medic asked 

“I'll see you on the other side.” The man said.

They each went to different drop pods for they were in order of squad and they were not from the same. 

Rischy put his bagged SRS in the pod then his M7 then he sat down. Putting on the safety harness he waited for the door to close. After a few moments it closed. The pods rotated into drop position and the vacuum sealed gate below the drop bay opened revealing a view that would make every normal human sick. Thousands of meters above the ground explosions and debris wherever the eye turned. Then the Platoon com went on. LT Dubois “Troopers! For most of us, me included, this is the first combat drop. Does that matter? No we're gonna drop down and kick alien ass but how do we get there?” 

“Feet First!” 32 voices barked out.

“Damn right Feet first into Hell troopers.” 

The pods were released, gravity seemed to not exist for a moment.

He had become used to the feeling of dropping into combat from orbit in a glorified coffin; it wasn't his first drop far from it. He had dozens of drops behind him, one of the few men in the platoon with ODST experience. The rest had seen combat as marine infantry. Though for sure but line combat didn't get close to the ODST mission though. It remains to be seen who of the 28 green ODSTs was really cut out to be a Helljumper.