Gulmohor☆گل مہر

The night was exciting, with classical music blasting through the huge halls. Pillars are round and huge with 'frozen' carvings on them. A crowd of men seated on the laid embroidered cushions. Men wearing high-quality fabric with beaded necklaces around their necks. Guards standing alert at the entrance of the 'Raqs Mahal'
(Dance palace)

Her henna-clad feet tapped twice on the marble floor before twirling while forming a crescent with her hands.

In ankhon se wabasta afsaane hazaaron hain
In ankhon ki masti ke mastaane hazaron hain

Head hung backwards as she gracefully brought her dance to the end. The twirl in her long anarkali ended with a few more waves, making the performance even more breathtaking.

A round of claps echoed through the place. The shouts, claps, drops of sweat on her neck, and the thumping of her heart increased the adrenaline pumping through her blood.

This Euphoria was everything she craved for. She wanted admiration, and she got it.
Just as the thumping of her heart settled, a tired sigh left her parched lips. The loud boisterous claps and words of appreciation did nothing to control the shiver that ran down her legs as she made a run for the backdoor. Her slim fingers held onto the veil that was minutes away from slipping and showing the world her true face.

Stumbling on an idle rock, she lost her balance and went tumbling down the last two stairs near the hidden exit.

"Ooof," a painful cry left her lips as she sat crisscrossed on the floor, trying to examine her foot.

Sighing at the blood on her toes, she tried to get up again, only to fall back again.

'Think about something, I have to escape or I'll get caught red-handed this time,' She thought and tried to stand again with one arm leaning against the wall. This time, it was a success as she grabbed the wooden bar of the window and slid out of it. Her once beautiful Anarkali is now torn and dusted.

Zeenat Jahan was about to sleep when she heard a thud from above. A frown appeared on her face as she called Naimat Bibi.

"Gee Zeenat begum jaan?" She slightly bowed her head in front of her.

"Aap dekh aiye Sheher ke kamre main sab theek hai na. Hamein unke kamre se awaz sunai di hai" Zeenat Jahan inquired suspiciously.

Naimat nodded hurriedly and walked away, leaving behind a worried Zeenat.

Naimat Bibi came back to her room with a solemn look on her face. A nervous laugh escaped her lips as she answered.

"Arey Zeenat begum, Sheher bibi to apne kamre main khuwab khargosh ke maze leeway hain. Aap bhi sojaiye. Hove hai koi billi raat ke is peher"
(Zeenat Begum, Sheher Madam has been sleeping soundly in her room. Must be a cat at this time of night that made that sound. You also go to sleep.)

Zeenat Jahan just shook her head and laid down on the softest of silks, but peace was far from her empty eyes.

_________________________________

She practically ran across the narrow alley, holding the long drape of her anarkali as her feet slipped on a pebble for the third time. A muffled shriek escaped her lips as she pouted angrily at the small bruise that was now forming on her left foot.

She could feel the wee hours of the morning. It was soon going to replace the darkness of the night. Her heart leapt in its place as she heard a thud behind her. Placing her small hand on her chest, she slowly turned to see the trespasser but came across none.

Silently thanking her God, she stood up on her feet again and started to limp towards her haven. Her dupatta was now torn from tangling in the thorny bushes. The mystical night always gave her the adrenaline, but tonight it was costing her heavily as she feared to get caught.