Chapter 27

~Frankie's POV~

It was nice here. It was nice to feel safe and out of harm's way. 

I knew that Clyde had meant to open the gates and almost kill all of us. I didn't know about Rebel's group, but my guess was that they were the reason Clyde had released the walkers into the neighborhood.

The neighborhood where we were safe. Where nothing could get us besides squirrels and bunnies. Clyde had ruined it and there was no way she did it for our own good.

It was her fault.

It was her fault I had felt scared. Her fault we were on the run. It was her fault that I had almost died. It was her fault that I had needles sticking out of my arms and I felt cold and dizzy all the time.

I had woken up when Clyde and the Governor had kissed and it was utterly disgusting seeing that side of her. I had seen her seductive ways, but each of those times it was out of protection for me, Peter or all of us.

"How are you feeling?" Clyde asked me.

"Fine, I'm kind of cold though." I whispered, not being able to do anything else.

Clyde pushed a small button on the side of the wall and moments later a small, plump woman came in from the door. 

"Yes?" she asked rather harshly.

"He's cold," Clyde snapped.

The doctor gave her a curt nod and scurried out of the room. Her arms were crossed and her glasses were slipping down her nose constantly.

Clyde placed her hand on my arm and gave me a reassuring pat. She smiled at me and the doctor came back in a rush, carrying a small pile of blankets with her. 

She handed them to Clyde and Clyde spread one across my legs and wrapped the other around my shoulders, skirting around the IV that was stuck in my arm, letting cold fluid flow through my veins.

It wasn't the reason I was cold though. Even if I felt safe here, something about this place made me feel empty and desolate inside. When I told Clyde I was cold, I meant I didn't want to stay here.

I wanted to find Rebel's group and stay with her. I had overheard that they were in a prison and a war was starting soon. Clyde wasn't protecting me anymore; she was just protecting herself.

Sure, in the beginning I had trusted her, but now, I wasn't so sure. 

Rebel was always around when I was growing up. She and Yasmine were best friends and she didn't treat me like Clyde did; like a little brother.

Rebel didn't do that. She treated me like an actual being. She treated me like I was an independent being that could take care of himself. She didn't tell me what to do or tease me about my toys, she treated me like an equal. 

Rebel treated me like I mattered.

"Clyde? Can you take this thing out of my arm? It hurts," I whined.

"Of course," Clyde smiled at me.

She tugged on the clear, plastic tube and it fell out of my arm instantly, leaving only a small hole in my skin and a small amount of blood.

The monitor behind me started beeping and the doctor rushed in, her eyes widening. When she saw me, alive and healthy, she slumped her shoulders and stalked out of the room.

"Would you mind hanging out with Peter for a little bit? I have some business to attend to." Clyde asked and explained.

I nodded and followed her out of the room, my hospital gown fluttering with the slightest of movements. I still had the thick, cotton blanket wrapped around my shoulders and I gripped it tightly, appreciating the safety that it held.