I

The solar eclipse loomed over us, dominating every headline. Everyone was talking about it, from ardent enthusiasts who sought out the perfect viewing spot, to those who, like myself, stayed at home, lazily scrolling through their phones without anything to do.

"Y/n! I'm outta here! Watch the fort!!!!" my sister hollered, tearing down the stairs.

"No need to yell! I'm right here!!!" I shot back. "And what do you mean 'watch the fort'? Who says I don't have plans of my own!?"

She chuckled. "You? Plans? Please, don't make me laugh. Besides, it's your turn to take care of things around here."

"Excuse me?"

"Well, putting ME in charge is a recipe for disaster," my sister retorted, hands on her hips. "And let's face it, you're not exactly popular."

"That's not true!"

"Sure, sure," she said with a grin. "Well if anyone stops by, try not to scare them away with your...you know, you."

"I won't!" I stood up from the couch, "And where are you going anyway!?"

 "Work, in case you've forgotten what that looks like."

"Yeah, because I'm totally supposed to believe that!"

"Anyway, I'm off. Don't burn the house down, kay?"

"Don't ignore me!"

"Sorry to burst your bubble, but I'm not about to give a nanosecond of my attention to a speck of dust."

"I'm dust now!?!"

"Later!"  

The door slammed shut, and I found myself utterly alone. It's funny how clichéd our domestic setup is, just my sister and me, no parental units to speak of, as if we're the protagonists of some typical comedy anime, if you know what I mean.

I sank deeper into the couch, my neck propped up on the armrest, throbbing with pain. It's been bothering me for days, adding to the ever-growing pile of irritation, that formed from my sister's antics.

No matter how much I wished to refute her words, they rang true. I had no plans to speak of, no friends to share the moment with, and no eclipse-gazing get-together on the horizon. It was a bitter pill to swallow.

Damn, everything just sucked. I want to vanish into thin air, pronto.

I cast my gaze toward the flickering TV screen, where the news channel droned on and on about the eclipse. 

Me, I don't know anything about astronomical events, but apparently this particular one was a Total Solar Eclipse, meaning it would completely snuff out the sun's light. A different kind compared to the standard eclipse, where the sun's outer glow still shines through.

Hmm, it seems like a pretty serious fuss, doesn't it? Maybe I should look into it.

I sank further into the cushions, my neck still throbbing like a fresh wound. The news had promised that the spectacle would unfold later in the day - late, almost. But that was still a ways off, I reminded myself, as I checked the clock. 3:20 PM.

My sister, the snake, had insisted she was off to work. But I knew better. She'd likely ditched her responsibilities to hang out with her friends, using the eclipse as a convenient excuse. Typical.

With a little bit of theatrics, I managed to heave myself up before harnessing the power within me to gracefully touch down on my feet. Just a couple of quick steps later, and I found myself face to face with the refrigerator.

However, the yogurt I'd been looking for, was nowhere to be seen. Not even a trace...seriously?

So she dumps the house-sitting duties on me, insults me, deceives me, and even has the audacity to pilfer my yogurt? Damn her!