Now here was James' daughter Charlotte, the last of the family from over the water. The daughter who left her lavish life in America after losing all her family and falling out with her grandmother, to start over in Birmingham. This made Polly scoff in disbelief when Celeste had first told her the morning after she had arrived. No one came to Small Heath for a fresh start.

     Charlotte was a bit startled but stands up to properly introduce herself, sticking her hand out. "Hello my name is Charlotte Moore, please call me Charlie." She tells her kindly, trying to hold her ground as Polly's eyes analyze her and the hand she's holding out. Ada watches them silently, observing the interaction knowing how Polly can be towards outsiders.

     "Why is a woman like yourself shaking hands with the men and woman of Small Heath?" Polly questions her, cautious of her. She was not the same sweet girl Celeste had told her about, that was a different time and people change, Polly knew that well enough. Tommy also had his suspicions about her, even if he wouldn't fully admit it but it got Polly thinking too. Why is she here?

     "Man or woman, it makes no difference to me. My father always taught me that a good handshake is a show of a person's character, no matter what sits between their legs." Charlotte told her firmly but politely.

     Polly raises a brow, eyes still calculating but also a bit impressed with Charlotte's words. She then reaches forward and shakes her hand.

     "Polly Gray," she tells her simply, but she didn't need a grand introduction because Polly Gray was anything but simple, Charlotte could tell.

     "Nice to meet you, Ms Gray." Charlotte tells her kindly as they shake hands.

     "Call me Polly," she says simply as she pulls out a cigarette, offering Charlotte one. Polly wasn't sure why she was really here but the woman was interesting she would give her that.

     Charlotte was shocked but figured this was the closest thing she would get to acceptance when it came to Polly Gray. She declines the cigarette with a polite 'no thank you' causing Polly to raise a brow at her once more before sitting at the table, lighting her cigarette.

     Ada sips her tea as she continues watching their interaction with intrigue.

     "So you've got a job at The Garrison?" Polly asks after taking a drag while watching her, observing this girl from America who showed up out of nowhere. Polly didn't trust outsiders and despite this girl being related to close family friends, that didn't change the fact that Charlotte is an outsider.

     "Yes, I start my first shift today, that's where I'll be heading once I get the spare key from Celeste." Charlotte tells her as she takes a seat at the table as well.

     She knew Polly didn't trust her which was completely understandable. Charlotte was new to town, showing up out of the blue to stay with relatives she hasn't seen since she was a child. She would be suspicious too if she were in her shoes.

Polly pours herself a cup of tea, "do you know the type of men who come into that bar?" She questions Charlotte wondering if she knew exactly what she had gotten herself into.

"I've heard the worst sort come there." Charlotte replies casually. She was nervous yes, but she wasn't going to back down. Even if she was on the run she wouldn't cower and hide. She was going to live her life the best she could with the family she had left, well with family she actually liked anyway.