Author's Note

I'm a little hesitant to try writing for the ONC again this year as I failed miserably last year, but it's a writing challenge I've always wanted to complete. That's why I'm throwing my hat into the ring again this year. 

When I tried to enter last year, I did it as more of a distraction during a time I shouldn't have. Not long after I finished my training for the Ambassadors, within a matter of days, I both lost my father to cancer and started a full-time job for the first time in two years in a field I'd never worked in before. My story was pushed to the background and all my creativity ground to a halt while I tried to deal with the things going on around me, so I rushed my writing and pushed myself beyond my limits. The end result was a story I am not proud of and still haven't finished for that reason.

This year, my schedule is far more relaxed and I'm much more inspired these days. While I still have a pretty busy schedule, I've found a groove that's working well for me and I'm learning to deal with my current circumstances. I'm slowly but surely getting back to where I was when I was my most creative. I feel like I may actually stand a fighting chance this time around!

Now, about the story itself. 

The prompt I am using for this is #45: You called me up again just to break me like a promise. So casually cruel in the name of being honest. - Taylor Swift

As a former Swiftie, I connect with that song in dozens of ways, so I can't wait to spin a tale for you guys about past loves and heartache and learning to accept our present.

In case you're not familiar with the ONC, it is the Open Novella Contest held each year with dates and word milestones:

#1: 2k words by February 28.

#2: 8k words by March 31.

#3: 20k words by April 30.

I will keep a word tally here in this Note (I may not update it each time a part is posted) and a word count at the end of each chapter.

Total Word Count: 20228