CHAPTER 20

MATTEO

Irritation crawls through me as here I am sitting in Arthur's study waiting for my angel and her crazy sisters to grace me with their presence.

Arthur's desk is much more organised than it had been last night when I had came to discuss some work.

The papers on the table are neatly kept in a pile, a computer resting in the middle and some other random things scattered. It's not properly organised or clean but still much better.

The only sounds in the study right now are from Arthur's furious typing.

Sighing, I start to re-tie my cuff links, something to keep my hands busy and my mind distracted.

The door to the room opens just as I'm finished tying my cuffs. The silent room of furious typing is now filled with laughs.

One laugh I wont mind hearing my entire life time on a loop. Though instead of turning my head back to get a look at my beautiful future wife, I keep my eyes ahead.

Arthur clears his throat grabbing everyone's attention and the laughter dies down. He motions for the chair next to me. "Ella."

A few seconds later, the sound of foot steps fill the room. The chair next to me gets pulled back.

Ella's arm brushes mine as she sits down on the chair. She jerks her hand back like I'd burnt her somehow. Her eyes captures mine. I can stare at those amber eyes all day, everyday if I had the luxury too. The colour on her cheeks starts to get brighter.

The sound of someone clearing their throat has those beautiful eyes moving away from mine. Though my eyes remain on her for a few seconds more before I look at the man sitting behind the big wooden desk. 

His eyes are already narrowed at me. The corner of my mouth turn up in a smirk. 

Everyone knows how protective Arthur Byrne is over his sisters. When the news spread out how I would be getting married to one of the Byrne sisters, saying it was a big surprise would be an understatement. Considering how I don't give a single fuck about Irish Mafia and how Arthur Byrne approved of it.

Hell, even I am surprised by how he approved of it. I know damn well how it feels to be an elder brother.

"How much longer before anyone speaks about why we are here?" Mia Byrne's voice breaks through the silence and trickles some kind of annoyance inside me. 

Arthur sighs. "Matteo are you doing the honours or shall I?" 

I wave my hand forward. "By all means."

"Tomorrow you all will be flying out to Sicily." 

Somehow the silence in the room seems to increase. 

I'm wondering if this is the silence before storm or a silence for everyone to process what their brother just said. 

My eyes move to Ella's face but hers are settled on her brother, a frown on her face. 

"Okay..." She trails off as if she is expecting something for to come out and doesn't want her hopes to get high. 

Arthur mirrors her sister's reaction. "That is all," He seems uncertain on what to say.

"Oh," Ella looks at me for the fraction of a second before looking back at her brother. "Okay."

"You don't have any problem with that?" Arthur asks. 

"Sure, I do. But I'll be going to Italy no matter them so why waste my energy when i can save it?" 

Like brother, like sister.