⁽ ⁵⁸ ⁾ 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑟𝑢𝑚𝑏𝑙𝑖𝑛𝑔.

Start from the beginning

Mikasa turned to look at Annie as she blushed, which made her blush in realization. "When did this happen?" Mikasa questioned.

"When did what happen?" Annie asked.

"Okay. I get it."

"Get what?"

"You don't have to suffer anymore. But... Armin is going to board the flying boat with us and head for Eren." Mikasa informed.

Annie looked down. "I know."

"What about you? What do you want?" Annie asked. "Are you gonna go kill Eren to save humanity?"

"I won't kill him." Mikasa responded. "Eren's gone far away, and I'm bringing him back. That's all I'm doing."

Mikasa started to walk away. "By the way, did you lose your scarf?" Annie questioned.

"I have it." Mikasa simply replied before she continued walking.

Levi was walking down the stairs as Armin was trying to stop him. "This is crazy! You should still be in bed!" Armin protested.

"Stay in bed? If I lie down any longer, you shits are gonna forget all about me. And that bearded bitch who passed out after her arm was broken is awake. I'll be damned if we don't make her tell us where Eren's going." Levi claimed.

»»————- ★ ————-««

Everyone was gathered in a room as Yelena was telling them Eren's next location. "Most likely, that is Eren's second target." She said.

Pieck placed a hand on her chin in thought. "Fort Salta..." She mumbled, causing everyone to glance her way. "True. If he knew of the existence of weapons that had the slightest chance of harming the Founding Titan..."

"I expect that's his next stop after Karifa Naval Port. He'll go to destroy the airships." Yelena said.

"You answered mighty obediently." Levi noticed.

"I have a request for all of you." Yelena clenched the blanket that was wrapped around her tightly. "Please acknowledge something. Zeke was defeated. But he was right. The only solution to the two-millennium-spanning Eldian problem was the euthanization plan. I'm sure you can see that in the wake of this disaster."

"Yeah. I admit it." Hange confessed as they looked away. "I wasn't able to show Eren any solution, or hope, or a future. I admit my powerlessness."

»»————- ★ ————-««

It was soon the next morning. "Hange!" Onyankopon shouted, waving to get their attention. "In about an hour, we can begin preparations for takeoff!"

"Got it!" They replied before turning around. "You heard the man. Each of you, inspect your gear."

"Yes, Commander!"

Levi was struggling as everyone looked at him in concern. "Two fingers is all I need. I'm ready." He said.

"Simon. Can I have a moment with you?" Hange asked as Simon nodded, the two of them walking away from the others.

Hange crossed their arms. "About what you told me... Are you sure you're going to go through with it?"

"I have a bad feeling that something will go wrong, Hange. You know my intuition is often correct." Simon replied as Hange agreed with him.

"I already told you I have Armin in place of the next commander if anything were to happen."

"I know. But that kid has already been through a lot. And he's only nineteen. He doesn't need the entire operation on his shoulders." Simon said. "Besides, my term ends in two years anyhow. Why not make it end sooner?"