CH17 THE DATE NIGHT ...

A few days later, Akshara rolled in bed trying to avoid looking at the clock on her bedside table. She was on her break, just like her entire team that week, and she could continue to lay in bed, but she had a big dilemma to deal with.

The Bride’s Brother.

 Why did he have to say those words that night?

He was the one making her mind go into overdrive while her heart tried to take charge of the situation.

“Akshara, you still in bed?” Aarohi laughed and added, “Are you going out with us?”

Akshara smiled at Aarohi who stood at her bedroom door.

“No. You guys go have fun.”

“What’s gotten into you this week? You are so lost.”

Akshara shrugged.

“Nothing.”

“Something is up. You’ve been awfully quiet the past few days.”

Akshara managed to smile. “I’m good. Have fun.”

“See you later.” Aarohi left her to her thoughts and to the internal debate between her heart and mind that had been going on for a few days now—from the moment Abhimanyu invited her to dinner and made his intentions clear.

Why did he have to do that?

There was no denying that she had a strong infatuation toward him, but she would have gotten over him, eventually. Maybe, maybe not, but she knew it would have been painful just from the way she felt the past few days.

Her heart started to thud again when she remembered the way he looked at her. His eyes speaking volumes, the unspoken words her heart understood and however much she tried to dismiss all her feelings as a deep attraction to how ideal of a man Abhimanyu was, she could not. She finally looked at the clock, and it was past five and Abhimanyu had said the reservations were for seven that evening.

“I want to go,” she said out loud as if to silence the voice that had been putting more and more doubts in her mind.

She sat up and shook her shoulder as if to shake off the doubts she held and walked into the bathroom. The restaurant he had asked her to meet him at was a good thirty-minute ride from her apartment, and since she had been so distracted the past few days, she decided to take a cab to the restaurant.

She opened her closet and stood looking at her clothes. After a lot of back and forth, she settled for a baby pink, pleated skirt that hit below her knees and paired it with a black, boat neck and cap sleeved silk blouse. She chose the clothes she would be comfortable and cool in on the warm evening.

Forty-five minutes later, she waited for her cab to arrive. She was a nervous wreck and considered cancelling a million times in the last ten minutes.

What is the problem? What could go wrong?