CH16 THE HALDI AND THE KISS

Mulai dari awal

End of the day, they were still employees and would never become friends irrespective of how much they bonded. The only thought she could hope for was that she would get to work with the family again or work with someone like Anisha’s family.

*****

The next morning was a slow one, especially after the dancing continued well into the night from the Sangeet event. It was the day of the wedding, and the last pre-wedding ceremony was the ritual of applying turmeric to the bride and groom.

Since both families were staying at the same resort, the events were running in parallel. Akshara checked on the groom’s side of the event and was heading back to the bride’s celebration when she heard a lot of shouting and laughing. She walked by one of the pools at the resort, wondering what the commotion was about and that’s when she saw Abhimanyu being chased by a group of people.

Every one of them, both men and women, had the yellow colour stained on their face and hands, and it looked like they were chasing Abhimanyu to apply the colour.

She let out a laugh and plastered her back to the wall to get out of the way, but the moment Abhimanyu spotted her, he stopped.

“Why is your phone turned off?” He was out of breath as he spoke, keeping an eye on the group who was relentlessly after him.

“You should run.” She laughed.

“Where is your phone?” He stepped closer to her, and she looked at the group who got closer.

“Abhimanyu—”

Her words were lost in a squeal when he grabbed her by the shoulders, pulling her off the wall to make her stand in front of him like she was going to shield him from the group.

“What are you doing?”

“Akshara, get out of the way. It’s time to get some colour on his face and win that sweet prize money.”

Abhimanyu laughed.

“Nice try, but sweet cousins and darling sister, I have a better deal for you.”

“We don’t care,” one of the youngest cousins cried out.

“I will double the prize money that Dad declared only and only if you guys get Akshara to put that yellow thing on me.”

“What?” Akshara and the group said almost in unison.

“Deal or no deal?”

Abhimanyu rolled up his sleeves as if he had won already.

Anisha thought for a moment.

“Double, did you say?”

“Yes, you heard me right.” He chuckled.

Anisha grabbed a bowl of the turmeric mixture and said, “Akshara, do this for me. Boys, hold him down.”