Chapter Fourteen: Stick Together

"Can I talk to you?" I ask, cautiously approaching Linee.  Everyone knows I mean business when I ask to talk to someone in the group, so she straightens up and nods stiffly.

I take Linee outside of the house.  It's been about an hour since the fight Rick had in the street with Pete.  A whole hour of Deanna and the rest of the Alexandria leaders contemplating the banning of Rick from the town.  After it all went down and Deanna dismissed everyone, Carl told me he had to be there for his dad and I agreed with him, heading back to the house my group stays in.

I let a few seconds pass before I vocalize the issue we've been having for the past three weeks.  "Im sorry," I start off.  "I shouldn't have said what I said all those weeks ago."

Linee's arms are crossed.  She doesn't say anything.

"It is your choice, Linee.  I know that you'll be a great mother.  When that baby comes, you know that Kai and I will protect it with our lives." I say nothing for a few beats, not knowing what else to say.

"I know you didn't mean it," says Linee, uncrossing her arms.  "And I know you're worried about everything going on in Alexandria right now.  The walker attacks.  Rick possibly being kicked out."

"I am, but that doesn't give me the right to act like an outright ass.  I'm sorry, Linee," I apologize for the second time.

Linee shows me a soft smile.  "It's alright.  I was moody for those three weeks anyway." Her expression turns serious.  "But Alexandria truly isn't as safe as we thought it was.  If Rick is kicked out and can't protect our group here anymore, we need to have a way out."

I nod, though I'm slightly stuck on the way Rick is somehow the one protecting our group now.  I don't mention it.  "I agree.  I'll find Carl and ask him what the read is on the whole situation."

"Okay," Linee says and I think the conversation is over, but she says more.  "Come here.  I missed being all serious and leader-like with you."  She pulls me in for a hug.  I squeeze her back just as hard.

We let go and I walk away, on a new mission to find Carl.

_____

Carl sits against one of the various Alexandria walls. I can't imagine sitting agains the rusty metal would be any comfort, but there aren't many places to be all nice and cozy in this word, anyway.

I drop down beside him, crossing my legs in front of me like his position. "So," I say. "Any news?"

When Carl doesn't say something right away, I know my answer. "Deanna wants him out. Says he's a threat to everyone in the town."

My lips push into a straight line and then I let out a big breath of air through my mouth. "That can't happen," I tell Carl.

"I know," he responds. "If my dad gets kicked out, our whole group does. And since your group was let in by my dad, they'll probably kick all of you out, too."

"Would she, though?" I like to think that the Monroe's are good people. "Kick out a group of children? I mean, I know we can handle ourselves, but kicking people out of a safely guarded community is much like execution."

"I know," he says again. He's quiet for a moment. When he opens his mouth to speak he hesitates, as if he's not sure he should be saying this. "If that happens... we'll stick together, right?"

I think Carl would've fit in nicely with our group back when we were outside of Alexandria. I've seen him talking to some of the kids. Jesse in particular really seems to like him. It would also be nice to have one big group with Rick's group.

I look over at Carl. "Yes," I say. "We'll stick together."