Chapter Five: Rick Grimes

The gate to Alexandria stands tall in front of me and my eyes scan the sign out front once more just to check if this really is the right idea.  No one has said another word to me.  They all know what's about to go down.  The youngest kids are scared and I can feel their fear in the way their anxious shaking rattles the whole Earth.  The older kids continue to share looks of knowing with each other, no one making eye contact with me.

I wave my makeshift torch in front of me, catching the attention of the person guarding the gate.  She does a hand signal to someone down below and the gate opens, bringing forth the man from this morning.

"There's a lot more of you than I thought there was," the man says.  His eyes take in the blood that covers me, Jaxon, Naomi, Rodrigo, Kai, and Linee.  "Something happen?  Are any of you bit?"

I shake my head no.  "A horde came through our camp.  I still do not trust you, but we have no other choice tonight." And if worse comes to worse, I will fight tooth and nail to get everyone out of Alexandria safely.  "We don't have to stay for long."

"Alright.  I have three questions to ask you."

I furrow my brows, confused at why he only has three questions to ask me before we enter their base.  Surely he doesn't trust us either.  Maybe he's underestimating our gaggle of kids.  I wait for his questions.

"How many walkers have you killed?" He studies me closely.  What kind of question is that?  I have no idea how many I've killed.

My confusion must be apparent on my face because the man lets out a soft laugh.  "That's an answer in itself," he states.  "How many people have you killed?"

This question gets me, making my throat close up.  I don't really know the answer to this one either, but I assume I need to make a guess or this guy won't want to let me through.  I wouldn't trust someone who doesn't keep track of their living kills either.

"Around twenty," I say and I cringe slightly.  That sounds bad.  There's no way he's going to let us in now.  We look like a bunch of serial killers.

"Why?" The man crosses his arms.

I press my lips together in concentration.  Why?

"Six of them were bit.  The others were in self defense against a group that was ready to kill us in the name of the bible." I say that last part carefully.  I don't know if these people have the same ideas that the cult group had.

The man nods, deep in thought.  He holds out a hand for me to shake.  "I'm Rick Grimes.  Welcome to Alexandria."

I shake his hand, hesitantly.  The blood from my hands makes the handshake a bit slick.  I don't tell him my name.  "Thank you."