CH12 DESERVE EVERYTHING

Start from the beginning

She stared at the phone as the three dots danced indicating that he was typing a response.

Abhimanyu: At the gym. Top floor. Take the elevator to the fourth floor.

She looked around the house and saw the elevator to one side of the house. She discretely walked through the elevator doors and rode up to the top floor, her mind a whirlwind of questions.

Why was such an expensive outfit ordered for her?

She stepped out of the elevator and stopped to take in the view on the top floor. The mini sanctuary of plants she had seen outside Abhimanyu’s place was recreated throughout the floor with a different kind of seating areas set up all around the open terrace.

“Akshara,” she heard him call out to her from the other end of the space from an area designated as the gym.

Her heart started to thud when their eyes met as he stood by the glass doors in a t-shirt and shorts wiping away sweat with a towel.

“Are you okay?”

She let out a sigh. “I’m… I need to know why Mrs. Sharma put in an order for an outfit for me.”

A sly smile played on his lips. “I guess you should ask Mrs. Sharma, then.”

“Abhimanyu, this is not funny.”

“I’m not laughing. You will need to ask Mrs. Sharma.” He turned to walk away from her, and on instinct, she stepped in front of him.

“Would you please call Mrs. Sharma? I don’t have her phone number.”

He shook his head. “Not now. I’m busy. I need to get back to my workout.”

She lowered her eyes and let out a sigh not knowing how to deal with the situation. This is one such scenario she had not experienced before, in all the years she had managed weddings. He stood in front of her in silence for a long moment before speaking.

“What’s wrong?”

She raised her eyes to his. “Would Mrs. Sharma order a designer outfit for me without your knowledge?”

“I was made aware, and it was Anisha’s idea to get you a gift.”

“Why?”

“She wanted to say thank you for everything you have been doing for her.” His voice was soft yet casual.

“Mr Birla, this is highly unprofessional and unacceptable.”

“Why is that?” He raised a curious eyebrow.

“Do you buy your employees at your offices or factories clothes?”

He folded his arms in front of him. “There is something called a bonus program for folks who work harder than the others.”