15: off campus trip

flashback
four years earlier
aged 22

the sky was turning violet and navy blue as hangman, rooster, and i met in "the glass hallway". "the glass hallway" was a hallway that formed a bridge between buildings at top gun that looked out over the base. we were all standing there in a sort of triangle, discussing what kind of trouble we would be getting into that night.

"i don't know if i really want to get in trouble with chester again," hangman said after a long pause.

"what do you mean?" rooster asked, "you love mischief."

"i know," he sighed.

"what's changed?" i asked him after exchanging a look with rooster.

hangman looked at me sheepishly, "nothing, i just don't want to get in trouble, okay?"

"that's such bullshit," rooster rolled his eyes. "you weren't afraid of getting in trouble last week when we went skinny dipping at 2am."

"which was entirely irresponsible of the two of you," i added on.

"you act like we haven't done the same exact thing before," rooster smirked at me and i rolled my eyes playfully.

"but i didn't make so much noise that i almost got caught," i replied.

"getting in trouble with the higher ups just seems stupid," hangman replied.

"is this about your girlfriend?" i asked him and it got quiet.

"amanda?" he asked.

"yes," i answered.

"mandy doesn't care what i do," he said.

"oh but her parents do," i said after a minute, "and you're trying to make a good impression!"

"i so don't care what her parents think of me, i'm dating their daughter not them," he replied immediately.

"this is totally about how her dad told her he thought you were too immature of a military man to be with his daughter," i said.

"okay so maybe it is!" he burst, "i want to prove i'm not a jerk off, okay?"

"you're adventurous, not a jerk off," rooster answered. "i've been there, but trust me, her dad will always find a reason not to like you."

"mav has his reasons for not liking you specifically," i shot back.

"like that i'm more charismatic than him?" he smirked.

"like that you sneak around him to get into his daughter's pants," i replied and his smirk faded.

"i don't have to sneak around," he replied.

"you two have fun getting in trouble," hangman said beginning to walk away.

"what if we just took an off campus road trip?" i asked and they both looked at me.

"to where?" hangman asked.

"i want to meet amanda," i smiled and so did hangman.