4: the mountain overlook

that night, i stayed at the office filing papers until about 6 o'clock. the sky was turning orange as i locked my door. i went down the stairwell and bumped into rooster quite literally. but i didn't realize it was him at first.

"my b-" i began then realized it was him, "hey."

"hey," he smiled, "are you heading home?"

"that was the plan," i smirked, "but i'm pretty sure mav left without me."

"would you like a ride?" he asked me.

"that'd be nice," i replied.

we walked out into the faculty parking lot together and i realized hardly any cars were left. but there sat his tomato red pickup truck like it had all of those years ago. i couldn't help but smile when i saw it.

"still runs like a dream," he smiled down at me once he realized i was smiling at his truck.

"she's not the only one," i replied as i stood by the passenger seat door.

"geez jewel, you cannot do that here," he said as he opened the door for me, which made me laugh.

we started driving off of the base and into the sunset. it was quiet for a minute then we looked at one another and started laughing for no reason whatsoever.

"do you want to do something fun?" he asked me.

"depends on what your definition of fun is," i replied.

"do you remember when we were 17 and you snuck out of your parents' place and we drove to that spot out on the mountain?" he asked me.

"and we made love all night," i smirked, "how could i forget it?"

"you lost your virginity in the back of this truck," he noted.

"like i've forgotten," i mumbled.

"what if we went back there for old times sake?" he asked me.

"so we can fuck," i stated.

"no," he said, "so we can be together."

i turned to him and smiled. being in the military had brought many men around who were interested in fast and easy without attachment. i knew bradley was a good man and wasn't like that, but he always proved it to me anyway.

we drove onto the mountain to the overlook where we'd been so many years ago. he killed the engine and we went to the truck bed and sat looking out over the overlook. he put his arm around me and i rested my head on his shoulder. for the first time since mom's death and bradley leaving, i felt peace.

"how was the first day?" he asked me.

"i'd say it was good," i replied, "one of the girls had a lot of questions and the rest seemed nervous to be sitting in there with me."

"because you're their inspiration," he replied, "you are the first woman to ever finish 1st place at top gun. that's what they strive to be."

"they were all very interested in how i beat you out for the spot," i said.

"it's because i let you," he joked.

"shut up!" i laughed and he did too.

"it's because you're way better than me. i wasn't even a close second," he said.

"bullshit," i said, "you definitely were close."

"anywhere you are, i'll be close," he answered, "at least from now on."

"bradley," i looked up at him and saw that he was already looking at me.

"who's your favorite?" he asked.