s i x

CHAPTER SIX

"HOLY FUCK IS THAT MIKE WHEELER?"

⊱ ────── {⋅. ♪ .⋅} ────── ⊰

el absentmindedly tapped her french tipped nails on her desk.

french tips were the only way she would have her nails done. it was simple, and matched with basically everything.

her chin rested in one of her palms, as she looked at an essay she had been writing.

eleanor always felt that school came easy. she had straight A's all through school, the lowest grade she ever had was a B. and when she brought the report card home to her dad, she sobbed, saying that she was a failure.

her father simply laughed and pulled her into a hug.

"why are you laughing?" el said through tears.

"sweetheart, a B is good. Most kids have all B's." he looked down to sweet innocent el.

"oh." she giggled. and then they cuddled up on the couch with ice cream to watch disney movies.

el smiled at the memory before she was sucked back to reality, realizing this essay was due in three days and she only had one hundred words down so far.

she never had trouble with school—until now. when her usually creative mind was focused on anything but the computer infront of her.

she placed her head on the desk, whining at how stupid she was being. just finish your damn essay!

el was deep in wallowing in self pity when a knock sounded through her room.

"hey el, its me!" will said through the wooden door.

"come in!" she called, sighing as she sat back in her desk chair.

"im gonna go to the library on campus to study, wanna come? max is there now with some new friends." he stuck his head in the door.

"sure. let me get my stuff ready and we can go, 'kay?" she shut her computer and will nodded.

el placed her computer along with some notebooks and pens into her trusty tote bag. she slipped her favorite book in the bag as well, though she had read it thousands of times, she always felt the need to reread it. she said thay each time she read it she found new meaning to everything.

all of her friends thought it was stupid.

too bad el was never one to care about others opinions.

she slipped on a cardigan and threw her tote bag over her shoulder before grabbing her phone and heading out of the apartment to meet will outside.

they sat in silence as they made their way to campus, it was only a five minute drive.

music that el connected to the car played softly in the background.

"have you ever met... these friends?" will glanced to el before turning his attention back to the road.

"uhm. if its the people im thinking of—yes. but im not entirely sure." el said, her attention turned to the busy streets of downtown chicago.

"hm. okay." will nodded before he turned into the library parking lot.

they made their way in, and found themselves infront of a private study room that max had reserved for the day.

a sign read 'MAXINE MAYFIELD AND FRIENDS ONLY'

el knocked on the door, and a familiar blonde headed boy opened it.

"el! and a random boy. hi!" dustin smiled before opening the door all the way.

will's eyes widened when he realized that the boy he spent alot of his childhood with was sitting in the room.

"hey will." mike acknowledged before returning back to his work.

"holy fuck, is that mike wheeler?!" will squinted his eyes as she whispered to his sister.

"that it is." she giggled.

mike patted the chair next to him and motioned for el to sit. she took a seat and will found himself comfortable beside dustin, who immediately started talking about something el wasn't interested in, but will seemed to enjoy it.

el pulled her rose gold mac book out of her tote bag along with her notebook and a few pens and pencils on the table infront of her.

she grabbed her phone and air pods—she stuck the white devices in her ears. a familiar song playing.

les by childish gambino.

she smiled at the song before she began working on her essay.

she felt someone bump her shoulder, so she took one of her airpods out and cocked an eyebrow at the boy next to her.

"i asked what you're listening too." mike repeated his words that el seemed to not hear.

"oh. uhm. les by childish gambino." el said more as a question. "why?"

"kissin' in the bathroom. kissin' in the bathroom girl. i hope nobody catch us. but i kinda hope they catch us." mike mocked the song, he was barely able to get through it without bursting out in laughter.

el slapped his chest. "i love that song, you pig! be nice!"

"i like it too. im just messin' with you." he laughed before sticking his hand out, "let me see one."

el handed him an airpod and he stuck it in his ear.

he started dancing slowly, he swayed back and forth and rolled his shoulder while winking at el.

she giggled before shaking her head and turning back towards her essay.

"whatcha working on?" mike asked as he leaned towards el's computer.

"an essay." el sighed as she typed a few more words.

"are you struggling?" mike cocked an eyebrow towards the honey haired girl.

"mhm." she mumbled, her lips tight.

"seriously? you were always better at school than me." he said before turning towards his own work.

"its hard. i don't understand." she practically pouted.

"it okay if you don't understand it, it's not okay if you dont try." mike shrugged.

"wow. thanks 'a quote a day facebook page'." el rolled her eyes playfully and mike laughed before bumping shoulders with her.

"what do you need help with?"

and just like that. mike and el sat there, the other college kids around them engaged in conversation. they sat and laughed, talking about old memories.

and before el knew it, she was hitting the blue submit button.

it only took her four hours of non-stop work, with the help of mike, of course.

⊱ ────── {⋅. ♪ .⋅} ────── ⊰

{1035 words}